Skip to main content

AGATHA ARCH IS AFRAID OF EVERYTHING



SYNOPSIS


Agatha Arch's life shatters when she discovers her husband in their backyard shed, in flagrante delicto, giving the local dog walker some heavy petting. Suddenly, Agatha finds herself face to face with everything that frightens her...and that's a loooooong list. 

Agatha keeps those she loves close. Everyone else she keeps as far away as possible. So she's a mystery to nearly everyone in her New England town. To her husband, she's a saucy no-B.S. writer. To her Facebook Moms group, she's a provocateur. To her neighbor, she's a standoffish pain in the butt. To her sons, she's chocolate pudding with marshmallows. And to her shrink, she's a bundle of nerves on the brink of a cataclysmic implosion. 

Defying her abundant assortment of anxieties, Agatha dons her spy pants - a pair of khakis whose many pockets she crams with binoculars, fishing line, scissors, flashlight, a Leatherman Super Tool 300 EOD, candy, and other espionage essentials - and sets out to spy on her husband and the dog walker. 

Along the way, she finds another intriguing target to follow: a mysterious young woman who's panhandling on the busiest street in town. 

It's all a bit much for timorous Agatha. But with the help of her Bear Grylls bobblehead, a trio of goats, and a dog named Balderdash, she may just find the courage to build a better life.



Title: Agatha Arch is afraid of everything

Author: Kristin Bair

Publisher: Dreamscape Media

Publication date: November 10, 2020



REVIEW



RATING: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

I must confess I kept postponing listening to this audiobook after reading a review that said the main character was completely annoying and she got boring pretty quickly. I have one thing to say to that reviewer: you're wrong! Kidding (not).

Is Agatha Arch annoying? Yes. Is she unhinged? Yes. Is she quirky? Yes. Is she a little bit cruel? Yes. Is she over the top? Absolutely. But she is also funny, loving and caring with those she loves, and that's what made her such an interesting character.

After finding her husband cheating on her with the dog walker, on their shed (how he dares!), she not only loses her husband but her mind (a little bit). This is not a plot drive story, but a character one. We follow Agatha as she tries to deal with her new life at the same time she does with all her fears. And they're quite a few! Hello fava beans!

I did laugh out loud several times but I felt bad I did cause, hilarious as she was, at the end it was clear she wasn't well. Behind all her weirdness she was just a woman asking for some help in overcoming her fears. I was glad to witness her growth and how she got the strength needed to cope with them while realizing not everyone was out to get her, making possible some new friendships.

I found the writing style very refreshing. Her no-nonsense approach while talking to people, the funny nicknames (GDOG and Kumbaya Queen are ones I need to apply in my daily life from now on), the Mom's Facebook Group chats... I guess some people could find all these things irritating, but I thought they were fantastic!

Special mention to the amazing job done by Soneela Nankani, the audiobook's narrator, that brought Agatha to life (irritating some times, lovable others) and all the different characters in a very distinctive way, making this a very enjoyable listen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOVE IN LOCKDOWN

SYNOPSIS Do you believe in love before first sight? Lockdown is putting Sophia’s life on pause – just as she planned to put herself out there and meet someone. When the first clap for the keyworkers rings out around her courtyard, she’s moved to tears for all kinds of reasons. Jack is used to living life to the fullest. He’s going stir-crazy after just days isolating. Until the night he hears a woman crying from the balcony under his. He strikes up a conversation with the stranger and puts a smile on her face. Soon their balcony meetings are the highlight of Jack and Sophia’s days. But even as they grow closer together, they’re always kept apart. Can they fall in love during a lockdown? Title: Love in lockdown Author: Chloe James Publisher: Avon Books UK Publication date: November 23, 2020 REVIEW RATING:   ⭐⭐⭐⭐ When I first heard about this book I thought "Uh, uh, no way I'm reading this. Too soon. Who would want to read a book about the lockdown when the second one is waving ...

HELLO, IT’S ME!

  I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to read... MY BRAND NEW BLOG! (Look at me plagiarazing   drawing inspiration from Adele for my very first entry).                                                               She approves! So, if you're here reading this...THANK YOU for tuning in! For those who don't know me my name is Javier and after more than a year writing reviews on sites as Goodreads and NetGalley I decided to create my own blog to share my love of books with the world. When I first started writing reviews I was not able to put two sentences together, but as I kept writing I realized I had lots to say about the books I read. Rest assured my reviews will always be honest (no problems here telling when I don't like something) and spoiler free (I hate spoilers!). My personal preferences are:...

MY TOP TEN BOOKS OF 2020

  It's that wonderful time of the year when everyone does their lists of the best (insert here the kind of entertainment you want) of the year, and I couldn't be less.  This year I broke my own record with 250 books read (thanks, lockdown!) and there're still two and a half weeks left, so it was hard to pick just ten. I've had lots of amazing reads, and even though some of these didn't get 5 ⭐  from me, they still managed to surprise me, shock me or most important thing, entertain me. So, without farther ado, here are (in no particular order) my Top Ten books of 2020: 1. ONE BY ONE - Ruth Ware 2. GOODNIGHT BEAUTIFUL - Aimee Molloy 3. GIRL GONE MAD - Avery Bishop 4. THE NIGHT SWIM - Megan Goldin 5. EUDORA HONEYSETT IS QUITE WELL, THANK YOU - Annie Lyons 6. DEAR EMMIE BLUE - Lia Louis 7. PLAYING NICE - JP Delaney 8. THE LION'S DEN - Katherine St. John 9. THE LAST FLIGHT - Julie Clark 10. SHE HAS A BROKEN THING WHERE HER HEART SHOULD BE - J.D. Barker And although n...