Skip to main content

AGATHA ARCH IS AFRAID OF EVERYTHING



SYNOPSIS


Agatha Arch's life shatters when she discovers her husband in their backyard shed, in flagrante delicto, giving the local dog walker some heavy petting. Suddenly, Agatha finds herself face to face with everything that frightens her...and that's a loooooong list. 

Agatha keeps those she loves close. Everyone else she keeps as far away as possible. So she's a mystery to nearly everyone in her New England town. To her husband, she's a saucy no-B.S. writer. To her Facebook Moms group, she's a provocateur. To her neighbor, she's a standoffish pain in the butt. To her sons, she's chocolate pudding with marshmallows. And to her shrink, she's a bundle of nerves on the brink of a cataclysmic implosion. 

Defying her abundant assortment of anxieties, Agatha dons her spy pants - a pair of khakis whose many pockets she crams with binoculars, fishing line, scissors, flashlight, a Leatherman Super Tool 300 EOD, candy, and other espionage essentials - and sets out to spy on her husband and the dog walker. 

Along the way, she finds another intriguing target to follow: a mysterious young woman who's panhandling on the busiest street in town. 

It's all a bit much for timorous Agatha. But with the help of her Bear Grylls bobblehead, a trio of goats, and a dog named Balderdash, she may just find the courage to build a better life.



Title: Agatha Arch is afraid of everything

Author: Kristin Bair

Publisher: Dreamscape Media

Publication date: November 10, 2020



REVIEW



RATING: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

I must confess I kept postponing listening to this audiobook after reading a review that said the main character was completely annoying and she got boring pretty quickly. I have one thing to say to that reviewer: you're wrong! Kidding (not).

Is Agatha Arch annoying? Yes. Is she unhinged? Yes. Is she quirky? Yes. Is she a little bit cruel? Yes. Is she over the top? Absolutely. But she is also funny, loving and caring with those she loves, and that's what made her such an interesting character.

After finding her husband cheating on her with the dog walker, on their shed (how he dares!), she not only loses her husband but her mind (a little bit). This is not a plot drive story, but a character one. We follow Agatha as she tries to deal with her new life at the same time she does with all her fears. And they're quite a few! Hello fava beans!

I did laugh out loud several times but I felt bad I did cause, hilarious as she was, at the end it was clear she wasn't well. Behind all her weirdness she was just a woman asking for some help in overcoming her fears. I was glad to witness her growth and how she got the strength needed to cope with them while realizing not everyone was out to get her, making possible some new friendships.

I found the writing style very refreshing. Her no-nonsense approach while talking to people, the funny nicknames (GDOG and Kumbaya Queen are ones I need to apply in my daily life from now on), the Mom's Facebook Group chats... I guess some people could find all these things irritating, but I thought they were fantastic!

Special mention to the amazing job done by Soneela Nankani, the audiobook's narrator, that brought Agatha to life (irritating some times, lovable others) and all the different characters in a very distinctive way, making this a very enjoyable listen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MURDER IN MANHATTAN

SYNOPSIS Glitzy parties, sightseeing at the Statue of Liberty and strolls through Central Park with Gladstone the bulldog… Lady Eleanor Swift is loving her first trip to the city that never sleeps, until she witnesses a murder! After crossing from England on the SS Celestiana, Lady Eleanor Swift sets up her home-away-from-home in a lavish apartment in New York City. She is soon the toast of the town, with no high-class soirée complete without her presence. Of course, she drags her butler Clifford and Gladstone the bulldog along to every party too. But when she witnesses the charming doorman of her building, Marty, knocked down and killed in a hit-and-run, she finds fashionable society suddenly closes rank. The only local detective interested in helping her find the culprit is street-smart beat cop, Officer Balowski. Resolved to get justice for Marty and his family, Eleanor searches Marty’s tiny apartment and is shocked to find five rolls of banknotes tucked under the floorboards. Money

MURDER AT THE BEAUTY PAGEANT

SYNOPSIS Spring, 1935. Newlywed Kitty Underhay has been enlisted by her old nemesis Mrs Craven to help organise the Miss Dartmouth Jubilee pageant at the Dolphin Hotel. Being bossed around by her arch enemy is not quite what Kitty had in mind for the start of her married life, but she’s excited to launch the glamorous show. Sparkling smiles are quickly replaced by audible gasps however, when one of the girls goes missing during the interval… When pretty Peggy Blaine is discovered dead, Kitty can’t help but notice that none of the other contestants seem particularly shocked. Can jealousy over a sash and a diamante tiara be a motive for murder? But when she discovers the threatening notes the young women have received, Kitty enlists her husband Matt to figure out who’s scaring the competitors. However, before Matt can speak to them, another entrant turns up dead after an apparently accidental overdose. Taking part in a beauty pageant seems to have turned into a fatal occupation! The dari

HELLO, IT’S ME!

  I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to read... MY BRAND NEW BLOG! (Look at me plagiarazing   drawing inspiration from Adele for my very first entry).                                                               She approves! So, if you're here reading this...THANK YOU for tuning in! For those who don't know me my name is Javier and after more than a year writing reviews on sites as Goodreads and NetGalley I decided to create my own blog to share my love of books with the world. When I first started writing reviews I was not able to put two sentences together, but as I kept writing I realized I had lots to say about the books I read. Rest assured my reviews will always be honest (no problems here telling when I don't like something) and spoiler free (I hate spoilers!). My personal preferences are:    - Mystery/Suspense/Thriller (medical, legal, cozy... if there's a dead body, I'm in. Not for nothing I'm a medical examiner myself)    - Conte