Skip to main content

THE SANATORIUM



SYNOPSIS


EVERYONE'S IN DANGER. ANYONE COULD BE NEXT.

An imposing, isolated hotel, high up in the Swiss Alps, is the last place Elin Warner wants to be. But she's taken time off from her job as a detective, so when she receives an invitation out of the blue to celebrate her estranged brother's recent engagement, she has no choice but to accept.

Arriving in the midst of a threatening storm, Elin immediately feels on edge. Though it's beautiful, something about the hotel, recently converted from an abandoned sanatorium, makes her nervous - as does her brother, Isaac.

And when they wake the following morning to discover his fiancée Laure has vanished without a trace, Elin's unease grows. With the storm cutting off access to and from the hotel, the longer Laure stays missing, the more the remaining guests start to panic.

But no-one has realized yet that another woman has gone missing. And she's the only one who could have warned them just how much danger they're all in.


Title: The Sanatorium
Author: Sarah Pearse
Publisher: Bantam Press
Publication date: February 18, 2021


REVIEW

RATING: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

The Sanatorium has my name written all over it. Another one of my most anticipated reads of the years, another 5 ⭐️ ! Do I have a good eye or what? It combines all my favorite ingredients: remote location (the Swiss Alps), characters with some kind of past trauma, a blizzard that isolates them and several mysterious (and pretty disturbing) deaths. What's not to like?

It was such an exciting read. After finishing the prologue I knew I was in for a treat. Those first few pages managed to give me goosebumps, and that mask image is gonna be on my brain for a really long time. So creepy!

Elin is a detective on a leave of absence suffering PTSD after some traumatic events at work and also dragging some family issues. At first it took me some time to warm to her. Her obsession trying to get some answers about her family tragedy 20 years after the fact was a bit hard to understand. Why so long? But as the story progressed I got to really root for her. She needed to get to the truth of the murders just to prove herself that the old Elin was still alive inside her.

The sanatorium turned into a luxury hotel was another character itself, and even a scarier one than the villain. I'm all for minimalism (much to my boyfriend's regret), but that hotel still gave  really unsettling hospital vibes! Let's take a dip in those pools...Eehhh, no, thank you!

There were several twists that, as it happened to Elin, threw my theories away several times, and when all was revealed, the thing that really gave me chills was learning about the building's previous history.

With a really claustrophobic and sinister atmosphere, The Sanatorium is a truly stunning debut. Today I learnt from the author that the sequel will come out March 2022 and I'm already counting the days. 

Comments

  1. I've been wanting to read this one...I think I was declined everywhere though. But five stars? Man, now I REALLY want to read it. Did it remind you at all of One by One? I haven't read that one yet either, but the settings seem similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The setting is similar, but this one is creepier and darker. I loved both, and also Shiver, that has a similar setting too, so maybe I have a thing for snowy settings? đŸ˜‚

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MURDER IN MANHATTAN

SYNOPSIS Glitzy parties, sightseeing at the Statue of Liberty and strolls through Central Park with Gladstone the bulldog… Lady Eleanor Swift is loving her first trip to the city that never sleeps, until she witnesses a murder! After crossing from England on the SS Celestiana, Lady Eleanor Swift sets up her home-away-from-home in a lavish apartment in New York City. She is soon the toast of the town, with no high-class soirĂ©e complete without her presence. Of course, she drags her butler Clifford and Gladstone the bulldog along to every party too. But when she witnesses the charming doorman of her building, Marty, knocked down and killed in a hit-and-run, she finds fashionable society suddenly closes rank. The only local detective interested in helping her find the culprit is street-smart beat cop, Officer Balowski. Resolved to get justice for Marty and his family, Eleanor searches Marty’s tiny apartment and is shocked to find five rolls of banknotes tucked under the floorboards. Money

MURDER AT THE BEAUTY PAGEANT

SYNOPSIS Spring, 1935. Newlywed Kitty Underhay has been enlisted by her old nemesis Mrs Craven to help organise the Miss Dartmouth Jubilee pageant at the Dolphin Hotel. Being bossed around by her arch enemy is not quite what Kitty had in mind for the start of her married life, but she’s excited to launch the glamorous show. Sparkling smiles are quickly replaced by audible gasps however, when one of the girls goes missing during the interval… When pretty Peggy Blaine is discovered dead, Kitty can’t help but notice that none of the other contestants seem particularly shocked. Can jealousy over a sash and a diamante tiara be a motive for murder? But when she discovers the threatening notes the young women have received, Kitty enlists her husband Matt to figure out who’s scaring the competitors. However, before Matt can speak to them, another entrant turns up dead after an apparently accidental overdose. Taking part in a beauty pageant seems to have turned into a fatal occupation! The dari

HELLO, IT’S ME!

  I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to read... MY BRAND NEW BLOG! (Look at me plagiarazing   drawing inspiration from Adele for my very first entry).                                                               She approves! So, if you're here reading this...THANK YOU for tuning in! For those who don't know me my name is Javier and after more than a year writing reviews on sites as Goodreads and NetGalley I decided to create my own blog to share my love of books with the world. When I first started writing reviews I was not able to put two sentences together, but as I kept writing I realized I had lots to say about the books I read. Rest assured my reviews will always be honest (no problems here telling when I don't like something) and spoiler free (I hate spoilers!). My personal preferences are:    - Mystery/Suspense/Thriller (medical, legal, cozy... if there's a dead body, I'm in. Not for nothing I'm a medical examiner myself)    - Conte