Skip to main content

IN A HOLIDAZE





SYNOPSIS

It’s the most wonderful time of the year…but not for Maelyn Jones. She’s living with her parents, hates her going-nowhere job, and has just made a romantic error of epic proportions.

But perhaps worst of all, this is the last Christmas Mae will be at her favorite place in the world—the snowy Utah cabin where she and her family have spent every holiday since she was born, along with two other beloved families. Mentally melting down as she drives away from the cabin for the final time, Mae throws out what she thinks is a simple plea to the universe: Please. Show me what will make me happy.

The next thing she knows, tires screech and metal collides, everything goes black. But when Mae gasps awake…she’s on an airplane bound for Utah, where she begins the same holiday all over again. With one hilarious disaster after another sending her back to the plane, Mae must figure out how to break free of the strange time loop—and finally get her true love under the mistletoe.


Title: In a holidaze

Author: Christina Lauren

Publisher: Gallery Books

Publication date: October 6, 2020


REVIEW


RATING: ⭐⭐⭐

My reading plans are ruled by Mariah Carey's calendar, so if she says Christmas Season starts November 1st, that's when I start my Christmas readings (although this year everything was so gloomy and depressing that I started with Christmas stories in August).

I would love to say that I adored "In a holidaze", but it was just ok for me. I'm not a big fan of "Groundhog Day" books and movies, cause they always end up being quite repetitive, but after seeing that eye-catching cover I decided I had to give this one a chance.

If you're gonna use the time travel narrative resource, use it to the max (or at least offer some explanation about it). As predicted, the time loop thing got old quite soon, and as sudden as it happened it went away once the plot was on track, not to be mentioned again. Mae seemed to accept al those resettings quite readily, not bothering to try and find an explanation to what was happening to her (you go back in time and your only worry is to hook up with the right guy?!). In my opinion, the plot would have worked exactly the same without the time traveling thing.

What saved this for me were the characters. I listened to the audiobook and at first I was quite overwhelmed with the huge amount of characters presented all at once. I actually had to pause and make a diagram to clear out who was who. Once I had them located I could enjoy the cute dynamics between all of them. My favorite one hands down was Benny, and his talkings with Mae were some of my favorite parts.

The romance part was a bit underwhelming. The story didn't give away enough background. We're told they've been secretly in love with each other for years, but we're not told why, what lead them to fall in love, how they discovered it, specially on Andrew's part. After so many years crushing on him, it felt she had it too easy, her kissing Theo in another timeline being the only hurdle she had to overcome. Also, he was such a douchebag when she told him about it, it seemed so out of character with his previous laissez-faire attitude.

The ending was cute but a bit too sugary for my taste.

Overall, a quick and easy read with likable characters, but plot wise it could have been so much more.

Comments

  1. I usually agree with you completely about the Groundhog Day trope, and I felt it to a point with this one...but for some reason, it's one I actually enjoyed. I always love Christina Lauren's characters. They're so lovable. And definitely sugary...but adorable. I think, maybe, I just needed a book like this after all my dark reads (and dark writing). Lol

    I always love your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first Christina Lauren so I have nothing to compare :) I also need something light and funny in between murders. LOL

      Delete
    2. You need to read Love and Other Words & Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating. They're both really good.

      Delete
  2. OMG this is your first?!!! I love this author. We need to change that! LOL...Fantastic review! Sorry you didn't enjoy it a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! I'll have to read some of their other book to find out if with this one it was the author or the book itself that didn't work for me.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MURDER IN MANHATTAN

SYNOPSIS Glitzy parties, sightseeing at the Statue of Liberty and strolls through Central Park with Gladstone the bulldog… Lady Eleanor Swift is loving her first trip to the city that never sleeps, until she witnesses a murder! After crossing from England on the SS Celestiana, Lady Eleanor Swift sets up her home-away-from-home in a lavish apartment in New York City. She is soon the toast of the town, with no high-class soirée complete without her presence. Of course, she drags her butler Clifford and Gladstone the bulldog along to every party too. But when she witnesses the charming doorman of her building, Marty, knocked down and killed in a hit-and-run, she finds fashionable society suddenly closes rank. The only local detective interested in helping her find the culprit is street-smart beat cop, Officer Balowski. Resolved to get justice for Marty and his family, Eleanor searches Marty’s tiny apartment and is shocked to find five rolls of banknotes tucked under the floorboards. Money

MURDER AT THE BEAUTY PAGEANT

SYNOPSIS Spring, 1935. Newlywed Kitty Underhay has been enlisted by her old nemesis Mrs Craven to help organise the Miss Dartmouth Jubilee pageant at the Dolphin Hotel. Being bossed around by her arch enemy is not quite what Kitty had in mind for the start of her married life, but she’s excited to launch the glamorous show. Sparkling smiles are quickly replaced by audible gasps however, when one of the girls goes missing during the interval… When pretty Peggy Blaine is discovered dead, Kitty can’t help but notice that none of the other contestants seem particularly shocked. Can jealousy over a sash and a diamante tiara be a motive for murder? But when she discovers the threatening notes the young women have received, Kitty enlists her husband Matt to figure out who’s scaring the competitors. However, before Matt can speak to them, another entrant turns up dead after an apparently accidental overdose. Taking part in a beauty pageant seems to have turned into a fatal occupation! The dari

HELLO, IT’S ME!

  I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to read... MY BRAND NEW BLOG! (Look at me plagiarazing   drawing inspiration from Adele for my very first entry).                                                               She approves! So, if you're here reading this...THANK YOU for tuning in! For those who don't know me my name is Javier and after more than a year writing reviews on sites as Goodreads and NetGalley I decided to create my own blog to share my love of books with the world. When I first started writing reviews I was not able to put two sentences together, but as I kept writing I realized I had lots to say about the books I read. Rest assured my reviews will always be honest (no problems here telling when I don't like something) and spoiler free (I hate spoilers!). My personal preferences are:    - Mystery/Suspense/Thriller (medical, legal, cozy... if there's a dead body, I'm in. Not for nothing I'm a medical examiner myself)    - Conte