Skip to main content

GOODNIGHT BEAUTIFUL

 



SYNOPSIS

A handsome psychotherapist. His lonely wife. And in his home office ceiling, a vent …

You’d listen too, wouldn’t you? (You know you would.)

Newlyweds Sam Statler and Annie Potter are head over heels, and excited to say good-bye to New York City and start a life together in Sam's sleepy hometown upstate. Or, it turns out, a life where Annie spends most of her time alone while Sam, her therapist husband, works long hours in his downstairs office, tending to the egos of his (mostly female) clientele. Little does Sam know that through a vent in his ceiling, every word of his sessions can be heard from the room upstairs. The pharmacist's wife, contemplating a divorce. The well-known painter whose boyfriend doesn’t satisfy her in bed. Who could resist listening? Everything is fine until the French girl in the green mini Cooper shows up, and Sam decides to go to work and not come home, throwing a wrench into Sam and Annie's happily ever after. 


Title: Goodnight Beautiful

Author: Aimee Molloy

Publisher: Harper

Publication date: October 13, 2020


REVIEW


RATING: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


Is "Goodnight Beautiful" one of the best psychological thrillers this year? I say YES!

Well done, Ms. Molloy! You managed to leave me with my jaw on the floor not once, but twice, and that's quite an achievement in a genre so overpopulated lately.

Sam and Annie are newlyweds and recently moved to Sam's hometown, where he has established his private practice as a therapist. What he doesn't know is that his sessions can be heard from upstairs, and when a french girl in a green Mini Cooper shows up as a new patient everything goes insane. Bonkers! Bananas!

It may look as a pretty straightforward domestic suspense but by the end of part 1 I was like

description

Then I had to go back an re-read some chapters to confirm I had not miss anything.

Part 2 came along and by the end of it I was like

description

It was so clever and the writing was so good that it did not give anything away. By part 3 I was so invested in the story that I kept flying through the pages.

The characters were all really good. I specially liked Annie, confident, smart and with a dark and wry humour that I found so refreshing. And I wanna say sorry to Sam for calling him names when later was proved he didn't deserve them.

I've read some people saying the ending was a bit of a letdown and I gotta say that, although not as strong as parts 1 and 2, I have no complaints about it. If there would have been another crazy twist at the end, the whole book would have suffered from the terrible disease that is ravaging the genre these days, the "one twist too many" disease.

Fantastic psychological thriller that has all the elements you could ask of the genre, done in such an excepcional way you will not wanna stop reading. 

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope you love it! Schitt's Creek for the win!!

      Delete
  2. This one is on my "Get to it soon, Bitch" list. Lol I've been dying to pick it up since I saw you were reading it on Goodreads. GREAT review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Great review. That literally was my face when I also had to reread...I was like..whaattt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope her first book "The perfect mother" is as good as this one!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MURDER IN MANHATTAN

SYNOPSIS Glitzy parties, sightseeing at the Statue of Liberty and strolls through Central Park with Gladstone the bulldog… Lady Eleanor Swift is loving her first trip to the city that never sleeps, until she witnesses a murder! After crossing from England on the SS Celestiana, Lady Eleanor Swift sets up her home-away-from-home in a lavish apartment in New York City. She is soon the toast of the town, with no high-class soirée complete without her presence. Of course, she drags her butler Clifford and Gladstone the bulldog along to every party too. But when she witnesses the charming doorman of her building, Marty, knocked down and killed in a hit-and-run, she finds fashionable society suddenly closes rank. The only local detective interested in helping her find the culprit is street-smart beat cop, Officer Balowski. Resolved to get justice for Marty and his family, Eleanor searches Marty’s tiny apartment and is shocked to find five rolls of banknotes tucked under the floorboards. Money

MURDER AT THE BEAUTY PAGEANT

SYNOPSIS Spring, 1935. Newlywed Kitty Underhay has been enlisted by her old nemesis Mrs Craven to help organise the Miss Dartmouth Jubilee pageant at the Dolphin Hotel. Being bossed around by her arch enemy is not quite what Kitty had in mind for the start of her married life, but she’s excited to launch the glamorous show. Sparkling smiles are quickly replaced by audible gasps however, when one of the girls goes missing during the interval… When pretty Peggy Blaine is discovered dead, Kitty can’t help but notice that none of the other contestants seem particularly shocked. Can jealousy over a sash and a diamante tiara be a motive for murder? But when she discovers the threatening notes the young women have received, Kitty enlists her husband Matt to figure out who’s scaring the competitors. However, before Matt can speak to them, another entrant turns up dead after an apparently accidental overdose. Taking part in a beauty pageant seems to have turned into a fatal occupation! The dari

HELLO, IT’S ME!

  I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to read... MY BRAND NEW BLOG! (Look at me plagiarazing   drawing inspiration from Adele for my very first entry).                                                               She approves! So, if you're here reading this...THANK YOU for tuning in! For those who don't know me my name is Javier and after more than a year writing reviews on sites as Goodreads and NetGalley I decided to create my own blog to share my love of books with the world. When I first started writing reviews I was not able to put two sentences together, but as I kept writing I realized I had lots to say about the books I read. Rest assured my reviews will always be honest (no problems here telling when I don't like something) and spoiler free (I hate spoilers!). My personal preferences are:    - Mystery/Suspense/Thriller (medical, legal, cozy... if there's a dead body, I'm in. Not for nothing I'm a medical examiner myself)    - Conte