Skip to main content

GOODNIGHT BEAUTIFUL

 



SYNOPSIS

A handsome psychotherapist. His lonely wife. And in his home office ceiling, a vent …

You’d listen too, wouldn’t you? (You know you would.)

Newlyweds Sam Statler and Annie Potter are head over heels, and excited to say good-bye to New York City and start a life together in Sam's sleepy hometown upstate. Or, it turns out, a life where Annie spends most of her time alone while Sam, her therapist husband, works long hours in his downstairs office, tending to the egos of his (mostly female) clientele. Little does Sam know that through a vent in his ceiling, every word of his sessions can be heard from the room upstairs. The pharmacist's wife, contemplating a divorce. The well-known painter whose boyfriend doesn’t satisfy her in bed. Who could resist listening? Everything is fine until the French girl in the green mini Cooper shows up, and Sam decides to go to work and not come home, throwing a wrench into Sam and Annie's happily ever after. 


Title: Goodnight Beautiful

Author: Aimee Molloy

Publisher: Harper

Publication date: October 13, 2020


REVIEW


RATING: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


Is "Goodnight Beautiful" one of the best psychological thrillers this year? I say YES!

Well done, Ms. Molloy! You managed to leave me with my jaw on the floor not once, but twice, and that's quite an achievement in a genre so overpopulated lately.

Sam and Annie are newlyweds and recently moved to Sam's hometown, where he has established his private practice as a therapist. What he doesn't know is that his sessions can be heard from upstairs, and when a french girl in a green Mini Cooper shows up as a new patient everything goes insane. Bonkers! Bananas!

It may look as a pretty straightforward domestic suspense but by the end of part 1 I was like

description

Then I had to go back an re-read some chapters to confirm I had not miss anything.

Part 2 came along and by the end of it I was like

description

It was so clever and the writing was so good that it did not give anything away. By part 3 I was so invested in the story that I kept flying through the pages.

The characters were all really good. I specially liked Annie, confident, smart and with a dark and wry humour that I found so refreshing. And I wanna say sorry to Sam for calling him names when later was proved he didn't deserve them.

I've read some people saying the ending was a bit of a letdown and I gotta say that, although not as strong as parts 1 and 2, I have no complaints about it. If there would have been another crazy twist at the end, the whole book would have suffered from the terrible disease that is ravaging the genre these days, the "one twist too many" disease.

Fantastic psychological thriller that has all the elements you could ask of the genre, done in such an excepcional way you will not wanna stop reading. 

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope you love it! Schitt's Creek for the win!!

      Delete
  2. This one is on my "Get to it soon, Bitch" list. Lol I've been dying to pick it up since I saw you were reading it on Goodreads. GREAT review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Great review. That literally was my face when I also had to reread...I was like..whaattt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope her first book "The perfect mother" is as good as this one!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AN ESCAPE TO REMEMBER

  SYNOPSIS When Louise surprises her boyfriend by returning early from a work trip, safe to say she wasn’t expecting to see him in flagrante delicto with another woman. Heart-torn and vowing to stay away from men, when Louise’s next project involves restoring an ageing hotel in Italy, she leaps at the chance to get away. Managed by a crew of sextagenarians, the Grand Hotel del Monferrato needs all the love and care Louise can give it. But it’s hard to stay focused on the job when her thoughts keep straying to Vito, the reclusive and mysterious owner of the hotel. With his tragic past and her no-romance policy, Louise knows they can’t have a future. Yet something keeps pulling the two together. Title: An escape to remember Author: T.A. Williams Publisher: Canelo Publication date: March 24, 2022 I’m a man. And a pretty old man as well. I did languages at university a long time ago and then lived and worked in France and Switzerland before going to Italy for seven years as a teacher o...

TERROR DE ESTADO

SINOPSIS Terror de Estado sigue la trayectoria de una secretaria de Estado novel que se incorpora a la administración de su rival, un presidente que llega al poder tras un mandato que relegó a Estados Unidos a un segundo plano en el tablero internacional. Cuando una serie de ataques terroristas dinamita el orden establecido, esta mujer será la encargada de aglutinar al equipo que descifre aquella conspiración letal, un plan calculado al milímetro para sacar provecho de un gobierno estadounidense débil y desconectado de la realidad. Título: Terror de estado Autor: Hillary Rodham Clinton & Louise Penny Editorial: Salamanca Fecha de publicación: 4 Noviembre 2021 RESEÑA VALORACIÓN: ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Gracias a Salamandra por el envío del ejemplar. Nunca había leído nada de Louise Penny ni de Hillary Clinton, y el thriller politico no es de ni de lejos unos de mis géneros habituales, pero “Terror de Estado” llamó mi atención desde que leí la sinopsis por primera vez, y tenía mucha curiosidad por ver...

A ROYAL MURDER

  SYNOPSIS At the royal boat race there are beautiful barges, plenty of bunting, a handsome prince and… is that a body in the water? Lady Swift is on the case! Spring, 1923. One-time adventurer and now amateur sleuth Lady Eleanor Swift is attending the annual royal regatta with her new pal Tipsy Fitzroy. Tipsy has Eleanor trussed up like a debutante in a new dress, determined to turn her into a proper society lady. Even Eleanor’s favourite companion, Gladstone the bulldog, has a new outfit for the occasion. But the sparkling prize-giving ceremony is interrupted when the devilishly handsome host gulps his glass of champagne on stage and collapses to the floor. The victim is none other than the king’s cousin, Lord Xander Taylor-Howard. He was rumoured to be entangled in a rather dubious gambling ring, but did someone kill him instead of collecting his debt? Or was this simply an ill-timed tragic accident? Either way, a right royal scandal is afoot… Sir Percival, the head of the royal...