Skip to main content

PIECE OF MY HEART

 



SYNOPSIS


Television producer Laurie Moran has spent her career solving cold cases on-screen. But her next case takes place away from the glare of the
spotlights . . . and the missing person is a member of her growing family.

Laurie is just days away from her midsummer wedding when her fiancé’s nephew, seven-year-old Johnny, vanishes from the beach. Witnesses spotted Johnny playing in the water and collecting shells, but no one remembers seeing him after the morning. Perhaps he got distracted and wandered off.

When Johnny’s bodyboard washes up to shore, everyone realizes that the worst could have happened. The answers to Johnny’s disappearance lie in a family’s long-buried past . . . and the clock is ticking.


Title: Piece of my heart
Author: Mary Higgins Clark & Alafair Burke
Series: Under Suspicion #7
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Publication date: November 17, 2020


REVIEW


RATING: ⭐⭐⭐

I've got a confession to make. Although once upon a time when I was young...er, Mary Higgins Clark was one of my favorite authors, the past few years I just kept reading her books out of some kind of nostalgic obligation (if that even makes sense). It might be the books themselves or the fact that now I'm an adult with lots of books read under my belt, but I don't think her last stories were up to par with her earlier titles. However, when I learnt about her passing earlier this year I was saddened, cause it meant the end of a reading journey I started when I was on my teens.

Her seventh collaboration with Alafair Burke in the "Under Suspicion" series was just ok, and that saddens me cause I was really hoping for her last book to be a winner.

I was not specially taken with any of the plots. I'm getting so tired of children's kidnappings! And the case they investigate for the TV show wasn't much more interesting (predictable much?!). Both plots move way too slow, the involvement of some characters in the investigation was a bit of a stretch, and the actions of other characters were just plain stupid. I know it's fiction but, come on!

The fact that it's book 7 and some info on Laurie's background has been repeated in each and every book made this a bit tiresome. The fact that all the main characters are all lights and no shadows is a bit unrealistic and too vanilla for my current reading tastes.

Although it had all the trademarks of a Mary Higgins Clark story (short chapters, extensive cast, red-herrings) it didn't manage to grab me like some of the earlier titles in the series. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOVE IN LOCKDOWN

SYNOPSIS Do you believe in love before first sight? Lockdown is putting Sophia’s life on pause – just as she planned to put herself out there and meet someone. When the first clap for the keyworkers rings out around her courtyard, she’s moved to tears for all kinds of reasons. Jack is used to living life to the fullest. He’s going stir-crazy after just days isolating. Until the night he hears a woman crying from the balcony under his. He strikes up a conversation with the stranger and puts a smile on her face. Soon their balcony meetings are the highlight of Jack and Sophia’s days. But even as they grow closer together, they’re always kept apart. Can they fall in love during a lockdown? Title: Love in lockdown Author: Chloe James Publisher: Avon Books UK Publication date: November 23, 2020 REVIEW RATING:   ⭐⭐⭐⭐ When I first heard about this book I thought "Uh, uh, no way I'm reading this. Too soon. Who would want to read a book about the lockdown when the second one is waving ...

HELLO, IT’S ME!

  I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to read... MY BRAND NEW BLOG! (Look at me plagiarazing   drawing inspiration from Adele for my very first entry).                                                               She approves! So, if you're here reading this...THANK YOU for tuning in! For those who don't know me my name is Javier and after more than a year writing reviews on sites as Goodreads and NetGalley I decided to create my own blog to share my love of books with the world. When I first started writing reviews I was not able to put two sentences together, but as I kept writing I realized I had lots to say about the books I read. Rest assured my reviews will always be honest (no problems here telling when I don't like something) and spoiler free (I hate spoilers!). My personal preferences are:...

MY TOP TEN BOOKS OF 2020

  It's that wonderful time of the year when everyone does their lists of the best (insert here the kind of entertainment you want) of the year, and I couldn't be less.  This year I broke my own record with 250 books read (thanks, lockdown!) and there're still two and a half weeks left, so it was hard to pick just ten. I've had lots of amazing reads, and even though some of these didn't get 5 ⭐  from me, they still managed to surprise me, shock me or most important thing, entertain me. So, without farther ado, here are (in no particular order) my Top Ten books of 2020: 1. ONE BY ONE - Ruth Ware 2. GOODNIGHT BEAUTIFUL - Aimee Molloy 3. GIRL GONE MAD - Avery Bishop 4. THE NIGHT SWIM - Megan Goldin 5. EUDORA HONEYSETT IS QUITE WELL, THANK YOU - Annie Lyons 6. DEAR EMMIE BLUE - Lia Louis 7. PLAYING NICE - JP Delaney 8. THE LION'S DEN - Katherine St. John 9. THE LAST FLIGHT - Julie Clark 10. SHE HAS A BROKEN THING WHERE HER HEART SHOULD BE - J.D. Barker And although n...