Skip to main content

THE ISLAND HOUSE

 



SYNOPSIS

A DARK FAMILY SECRET

When Alice’s father dies after a tragic hit and run, his death stirs up unanswered questions about her childhood. Who was her mother, why did her father never speak of the past, and why can’t she remember anything before the age of seven?

AN ISLAND CUT OFF

But when she receives an anonymous letter containing a photograph of a refurbished gothic guesthouse surrounded by water, and an invitation to stay, old memories fight to resurface.

Alice has visited before. She is certain of it.

WHO WILL SURVIVE?

Convinced the clues to her past lie at the hotel, she checks in. But once on the island, a wild storm rages, waves crash violently into the rocks, and the house is cut off by the roaring sea.

Then two guests are found dead. And the hotel owner is missing. Will Alice ever uncover her secret past?

And will anyone leave the island alive?


Title: The Island House
Author: Amanda Brittany
Publisher: HQ Digital
Publication date: August 11, 2021


REVIEW

RATING: ⭐⭐⭐⭐💫

Locked room mystery, isolated setting, gothic vibes…was The Island House written thinking of me? It has all the elements I love in a mystery!

After her father dies in a hit and run seems like Alice’s questions about her childhood and her father’s past will go forever unanswered until she receives an invitation to visit an old gothic house turned hotel which she’s sure played a part in her childhood. And you know what happens to guests who check into gothic houses in isolated islands… exactly! They start dying one (or two) at a time.

With such an engaging premise it’s no surprising I flew through it. The atmosphere was fantastic and the creepiness was present from the first page. All the hints about what was going on in the attic and the puppets added to the sense of unease. Those puppets! They were so ghoulish. Loved them!

The story is told through dual timelines, one in 2019 and one starting in the 70s and moving forward. I found both equally engaging and loved how the past timeline developed. That weird relationship was another thing that added to the frightening feel that permeated the whole story.

When I thought I had it all figured out there was a twist that made me re-read some lines because at first I thought it was a typo, but NO, it was real and it made me gasp. I did not see that coming at all! From there everything unraveled and, although absolutely bonkers, it made perfect sense in a crazy kind of way.

Great atmospheric mystery that will delight all locked room mystery lovers. I’ve now read three of Ms. Brittany’s books and loved all three so I will be reading all her old ones and will wait anxiously her next release.

Thanks to NetGalley and HQ for providing an eARC in exchange for an honest review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOVE IN LOCKDOWN

SYNOPSIS Do you believe in love before first sight? Lockdown is putting Sophia’s life on pause – just as she planned to put herself out there and meet someone. When the first clap for the keyworkers rings out around her courtyard, she’s moved to tears for all kinds of reasons. Jack is used to living life to the fullest. He’s going stir-crazy after just days isolating. Until the night he hears a woman crying from the balcony under his. He strikes up a conversation with the stranger and puts a smile on her face. Soon their balcony meetings are the highlight of Jack and Sophia’s days. But even as they grow closer together, they’re always kept apart. Can they fall in love during a lockdown? Title: Love in lockdown Author: Chloe James Publisher: Avon Books UK Publication date: November 23, 2020 REVIEW RATING:   ⭐⭐⭐⭐ When I first heard about this book I thought "Uh, uh, no way I'm reading this. Too soon. Who would want to read a book about the lockdown when the second one is waving ...

HELLO, IT’S ME!

  I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to read... MY BRAND NEW BLOG! (Look at me plagiarazing   drawing inspiration from Adele for my very first entry).                                                               She approves! So, if you're here reading this...THANK YOU for tuning in! For those who don't know me my name is Javier and after more than a year writing reviews on sites as Goodreads and NetGalley I decided to create my own blog to share my love of books with the world. When I first started writing reviews I was not able to put two sentences together, but as I kept writing I realized I had lots to say about the books I read. Rest assured my reviews will always be honest (no problems here telling when I don't like something) and spoiler free (I hate spoilers!). My personal preferences are:...

MY TOP TEN BOOKS OF 2020

  It's that wonderful time of the year when everyone does their lists of the best (insert here the kind of entertainment you want) of the year, and I couldn't be less.  This year I broke my own record with 250 books read (thanks, lockdown!) and there're still two and a half weeks left, so it was hard to pick just ten. I've had lots of amazing reads, and even though some of these didn't get 5 ⭐  from me, they still managed to surprise me, shock me or most important thing, entertain me. So, without farther ado, here are (in no particular order) my Top Ten books of 2020: 1. ONE BY ONE - Ruth Ware 2. GOODNIGHT BEAUTIFUL - Aimee Molloy 3. GIRL GONE MAD - Avery Bishop 4. THE NIGHT SWIM - Megan Goldin 5. EUDORA HONEYSETT IS QUITE WELL, THANK YOU - Annie Lyons 6. DEAR EMMIE BLUE - Lia Louis 7. PLAYING NICE - JP Delaney 8. THE LION'S DEN - Katherine St. John 9. THE LAST FLIGHT - Julie Clark 10. SHE HAS A BROKEN THING WHERE HER HEART SHOULD BE - J.D. Barker And although n...