Skip to main content

THE MARY SHELLEY CLUB

 



SYNOPSIS

When it comes to horror movies, the rules are clear:

x Avoid abandoned buildings, warehouses, and cabins at all times.
x Stay together: don't split up, not even just to "check something out."
x If there's a murderer on the loose, do not make out with anyone.

If only surviving in real life were this easy...

New girl Rachel Chavez turns to horror movies for comfort, preferring stabby serial killers and homicidal dolls to the bored rich kids of Manhattan Prep...and to certain memories she'd preferred to keep buried.

Then Rachel is recruited by the Mary Shelley Club, a mysterious society of students who orchestrate Fear Tests, elaborate pranks inspired by urban legends and movie tropes. At first, Rachel embraces the power that comes with reckless pranking. But as the Fear Tests escalate, the competition turns deadly, and it's clear Rachel is playing a game she can't afford to lose.

Title: The Mary Shelley Club
Author: Goldy Moldavsky
Publisher: Henry Holt & Company
Publication date: April 13, 2021


REVIEW

RATING: ⭐⭐⭐

I really try with YA novels, believe me, I do, but no matter how hard I try I can’t really connect with them and see what everyone else seems to do.

The premise of this one sounded so interesting. A mysterious club doing horror movies inspired pranks? Sold! Great premise, not so great execution.

I found the characters pretty bland. They were mostly rich, spoiled kids behaving obnoxiously like rich, spoiled kids just because they could. They were so immature I would have given them more than one slap. Funny thing was they thought they were really mature and had “the weight of the world on their shoulders” at 17 yo.

Another issue for me were the Fear Tests. While I appreciate how the author tried to tie them to different movies, I felt them lacking. For all their talk, some of them were pretty naive. Put a mask and…BOO!

It seemed like the plot was not going anywhere for almost 2/3 of the story, just a succession of Fear Tests and club meetings. The ending wasn’t satisfying at all, not only because it left things open for a possible sequel but because also left several questions unanswered. If the big reveal was supposed to make me shout “WHAT??!!” it just made me say “ok, whatever…” so…

Although it had some interesting aspects overall it was just an ok read for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOVE IN LOCKDOWN

SYNOPSIS Do you believe in love before first sight? Lockdown is putting Sophia’s life on pause – just as she planned to put herself out there and meet someone. When the first clap for the keyworkers rings out around her courtyard, she’s moved to tears for all kinds of reasons. Jack is used to living life to the fullest. He’s going stir-crazy after just days isolating. Until the night he hears a woman crying from the balcony under his. He strikes up a conversation with the stranger and puts a smile on her face. Soon their balcony meetings are the highlight of Jack and Sophia’s days. But even as they grow closer together, they’re always kept apart. Can they fall in love during a lockdown? Title: Love in lockdown Author: Chloe James Publisher: Avon Books UK Publication date: November 23, 2020 REVIEW RATING:   ⭐⭐⭐⭐ When I first heard about this book I thought "Uh, uh, no way I'm reading this. Too soon. Who would want to read a book about the lockdown when the second one is waving ...

HELLO, IT’S ME!

  I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to read... MY BRAND NEW BLOG! (Look at me plagiarazing   drawing inspiration from Adele for my very first entry).                                                               She approves! So, if you're here reading this...THANK YOU for tuning in! For those who don't know me my name is Javier and after more than a year writing reviews on sites as Goodreads and NetGalley I decided to create my own blog to share my love of books with the world. When I first started writing reviews I was not able to put two sentences together, but as I kept writing I realized I had lots to say about the books I read. Rest assured my reviews will always be honest (no problems here telling when I don't like something) and spoiler free (I hate spoilers!). My personal preferences are:...

MY TOP TEN BOOKS OF 2020

  It's that wonderful time of the year when everyone does their lists of the best (insert here the kind of entertainment you want) of the year, and I couldn't be less.  This year I broke my own record with 250 books read (thanks, lockdown!) and there're still two and a half weeks left, so it was hard to pick just ten. I've had lots of amazing reads, and even though some of these didn't get 5 ⭐  from me, they still managed to surprise me, shock me or most important thing, entertain me. So, without farther ado, here are (in no particular order) my Top Ten books of 2020: 1. ONE BY ONE - Ruth Ware 2. GOODNIGHT BEAUTIFUL - Aimee Molloy 3. GIRL GONE MAD - Avery Bishop 4. THE NIGHT SWIM - Megan Goldin 5. EUDORA HONEYSETT IS QUITE WELL, THANK YOU - Annie Lyons 6. DEAR EMMIE BLUE - Lia Louis 7. PLAYING NICE - JP Delaney 8. THE LION'S DEN - Katherine St. John 9. THE LAST FLIGHT - Julie Clark 10. SHE HAS A BROKEN THING WHERE HER HEART SHOULD BE - J.D. Barker And although n...