Skip to main content

BEFORE SHE DISAPPEARED



SYNOPSIS


Frankie Elkin is an average middle-aged woman, a recovering alcoholic with more regrets than belongings. But she spends her life doing what no one else will--searching for missing people the world has stopped looking for. When the police have given up, when the public no longer remembers, when the media has never paid attention, Frankie starts looking.

A new case brings her to Mattapan, a Boston neighborhood with a rough reputation. She is searching for Angelique Badeau, a Haitian teenager who vanished from her high school months earlier. Resistance from the Boston PD and the victim's wary family tells Frankie she's on her own--and she soon learns she's asking questions someone doesn't want answered. But Frankie will stop at nothing to discover the truth, even if it means the next person to go missing could be her.


Title: Before she disappeared
Author: Lisa Gardner
Publisher: Dutton
Publication date: January 19, 2021


REVIEW

RATING: ⭐⭐⭐⭐


Frankie Elkin is a recovering alcoholic whose life mission is to search for those missing people everyone else has forgotten. Her new case brings her to Mattapan, a rough Boston neighborhood, in search of Angelique Badeau, a Haitian teen who disappeared a year earlier. Soon she encounters resistance from Boston PD and the missing girl environment but nothing will stop her in her search for the truth.

Frankie is a flawed and vulnerable yet strong character. As her statement "I'm growing on the population of Mattapan", she grew on me too. It took some time but once she did I kept rooting for her to succeed in her search of Angelique as it was clear she needed it to help her exorcize some of her demons.

There were some great supporting characters as Stoney, Viv or Detective Lotham, and I loved how their initial rebuff of Frankie turned into respect once they realized her only interest was to help Angelique's family. There was some really smart dialogue and her sassiness while talking to some people was so much fun to read.

It was nice to keep learning little nuggets of her background as the story went on, although her reasoning to devote herself to the search of missing persons could have been a little bit better grounded.

I listened to the audiobook version (great work of the narrator, btw) and some times my mind just wandered a bit, especially at the beginning, cause the story took some time to pick up. It was much better paced once Frankie started working along Detective Lotham.

Very well written story with a multilayered main character and a great cast of supporting ones. I know this is supposed to be a stand-alone but I can clearly see it developing into a series I would gladly keep coming back to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MURDER IN MANHATTAN

SYNOPSIS Glitzy parties, sightseeing at the Statue of Liberty and strolls through Central Park with Gladstone the bulldog… Lady Eleanor Swift is loving her first trip to the city that never sleeps, until she witnesses a murder! After crossing from England on the SS Celestiana, Lady Eleanor Swift sets up her home-away-from-home in a lavish apartment in New York City. She is soon the toast of the town, with no high-class soirée complete without her presence. Of course, she drags her butler Clifford and Gladstone the bulldog along to every party too. But when she witnesses the charming doorman of her building, Marty, knocked down and killed in a hit-and-run, she finds fashionable society suddenly closes rank. The only local detective interested in helping her find the culprit is street-smart beat cop, Officer Balowski. Resolved to get justice for Marty and his family, Eleanor searches Marty’s tiny apartment and is shocked to find five rolls of banknotes tucked under the floorboards. Money

MURDER AT THE BEAUTY PAGEANT

SYNOPSIS Spring, 1935. Newlywed Kitty Underhay has been enlisted by her old nemesis Mrs Craven to help organise the Miss Dartmouth Jubilee pageant at the Dolphin Hotel. Being bossed around by her arch enemy is not quite what Kitty had in mind for the start of her married life, but she’s excited to launch the glamorous show. Sparkling smiles are quickly replaced by audible gasps however, when one of the girls goes missing during the interval… When pretty Peggy Blaine is discovered dead, Kitty can’t help but notice that none of the other contestants seem particularly shocked. Can jealousy over a sash and a diamante tiara be a motive for murder? But when she discovers the threatening notes the young women have received, Kitty enlists her husband Matt to figure out who’s scaring the competitors. However, before Matt can speak to them, another entrant turns up dead after an apparently accidental overdose. Taking part in a beauty pageant seems to have turned into a fatal occupation! The dari

HELLO, IT’S ME!

  I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to read... MY BRAND NEW BLOG! (Look at me plagiarazing   drawing inspiration from Adele for my very first entry).                                                               She approves! So, if you're here reading this...THANK YOU for tuning in! For those who don't know me my name is Javier and after more than a year writing reviews on sites as Goodreads and NetGalley I decided to create my own blog to share my love of books with the world. When I first started writing reviews I was not able to put two sentences together, but as I kept writing I realized I had lots to say about the books I read. Rest assured my reviews will always be honest (no problems here telling when I don't like something) and spoiler free (I hate spoilers!). My personal preferences are:    - Mystery/Suspense/Thriller (medical, legal, cozy... if there's a dead body, I'm in. Not for nothing I'm a medical examiner myself)    - Conte