Skip to main content

THE PERFECT MOTHER

 



SYNOPSIS


We all want different things. Francie wants to be the perfect mother. Nell wants to escape the past. Collette wants to spend more time with her family. All Winnie wants is to have her baby back.

When Nell suggests a night out in Brooklyn to her new mums' club, the others jump at the chance. But the evening takes a tragic turn when Winnie learns that her six-week-old son Midas has been kidnapped.

As the investigation hits a dead end, Nell, Collette and Francie make it their mission to succeed where the police are failing. But as Winnie and those around her come under scrutiny from the media, damaging secrets come to light and friendships are pushed to the limit.

Because people will do almost anything to protect the ones they love.



Title: The perfect mother

Author: Aimee Molloy

Publisher: Sphere

Publication date: July 11, 2019



REVIEW


RATING: ⭐⭐⭐💫


Last year I absolutely adored "Goodnight beautiful". It's not usual that a book catches me completely unaware and that one manages to blindside me not once but twice. Although I enjoyed "The perfect mother" as well, it was not in the same league as "Goodnight beautiful" and that's great, cause it shows that Aimee Molloy is getting better. With just two books she's become one of those authors I know I will read anything they come up with.


The start was great and I became quickly engaged but the first half became a little bit repetitive with too much mothering talk and breast feeding references. The other thing that was a bit confusing was the huge number of characters and their kinship relations. More than once I had to stop and think "ok, so this one is married to this one and their baby is that one". The fact that two of the main characters had very similar names did not help.


Things got better in the second half, once secrets started to come to light and the "May Mothers" take a more active role in the investigation. Halfway through I had a theory in my head, but once again Ms. Molloy pulled out of her sleeve a very well done misdirection. How did I not see that after having read "Goodnight beautiful"? I'm still berating myself! She certainly makes the reader make some assumptions that are later proven completely wrong.


I had a bit of an issue with the villain's choice and some of the explanations given as I'm not sure how believable some of them would be irl, especially amongst a group of new moms.


The demands that society requires of new moms and the ones they ask of themselves to be "perfect mothers" were very well portrayed, and those emails at the beginning of each chapter (I hated them) were proof that sometimes a lot of information is worse than no information at all.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MURDER IN MANHATTAN

SYNOPSIS Glitzy parties, sightseeing at the Statue of Liberty and strolls through Central Park with Gladstone the bulldog… Lady Eleanor Swift is loving her first trip to the city that never sleeps, until she witnesses a murder! After crossing from England on the SS Celestiana, Lady Eleanor Swift sets up her home-away-from-home in a lavish apartment in New York City. She is soon the toast of the town, with no high-class soirée complete without her presence. Of course, she drags her butler Clifford and Gladstone the bulldog along to every party too. But when she witnesses the charming doorman of her building, Marty, knocked down and killed in a hit-and-run, she finds fashionable society suddenly closes rank. The only local detective interested in helping her find the culprit is street-smart beat cop, Officer Balowski. Resolved to get justice for Marty and his family, Eleanor searches Marty’s tiny apartment and is shocked to find five rolls of banknotes tucked under the floorboards. Money

HELLO, IT’S ME!

  I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to read... MY BRAND NEW BLOG! (Look at me plagiarazing   drawing inspiration from Adele for my very first entry).                                                               She approves! So, if you're here reading this...THANK YOU for tuning in! For those who don't know me my name is Javier and after more than a year writing reviews on sites as Goodreads and NetGalley I decided to create my own blog to share my love of books with the world. When I first started writing reviews I was not able to put two sentences together, but as I kept writing I realized I had lots to say about the books I read. Rest assured my reviews will always be honest (no problems here telling when I don't like something) and spoiler free (I hate spoilers!). My personal preferences are:    - Mystery/Suspense/Thriller (medical, legal, cozy... if there's a dead body, I'm in. Not for nothing I'm a medical examiner myself)    - Conte

LOVE IN LOCKDOWN

SYNOPSIS Do you believe in love before first sight? Lockdown is putting Sophia’s life on pause – just as she planned to put herself out there and meet someone. When the first clap for the keyworkers rings out around her courtyard, she’s moved to tears for all kinds of reasons. Jack is used to living life to the fullest. He’s going stir-crazy after just days isolating. Until the night he hears a woman crying from the balcony under his. He strikes up a conversation with the stranger and puts a smile on her face. Soon their balcony meetings are the highlight of Jack and Sophia’s days. But even as they grow closer together, they’re always kept apart. Can they fall in love during a lockdown? Title: Love in lockdown Author: Chloe James Publisher: Avon Books UK Publication date: November 23, 2020 REVIEW RATING:   ⭐⭐⭐⭐ When I first heard about this book I thought "Uh, uh, no way I'm reading this. Too soon. Who would want to read a book about the lockdown when the second one is waving