Skip to main content

THE LOST VILLAGE



SYNOPSIS


Documentary filmmaker Alice Lindstedt has been obsessed with the vanishing residents of the old mining town, dubbed “The Lost Village,” since she was a little girl. In 1959, her grandmother’s entire family disappeared in this mysterious tragedy, and ever since, the unanswered questions surrounding the only two people who were left―a woman stoned to death in the town center and an abandoned newborn―have plagued her. She’s gathered a small crew of friends in the remote village to make a film about what really happened.

But there will be no turning back.

Not long after they’ve set up camp, mysterious things begin to happen. Equipment is destroyed. People go missing. As doubt breeds fear and their very minds begin to crack, one thing becomes startlingly clear to Alice:

They are not alone.

They’re looking for the truth…
But what if it finds them first?


Title: The lost village
Author: Camilla Sten
Publisher: Minotaur Books
Publication date: March 23, 2021


REVIEW

RATING: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

When I first read the synopsis of "The lost village" the first thing that came to mind was "The Blair Witch Project". Then I learnt that the author is the daughter of one of my favorite nordic authors, Viveca Sten, so with those two pieces of info I just knew I had to read this.

In 1959 hundreds of people disappeared from a small Swedish town. Left behind were only a newborn and the body of a dead woman. Nowadays, a film documentary crew goes back to that town to try and find out what happened there 60 years ago, but soon after their arrival it comes clear they may not be all alone there.

This book grabbed me right from page one. The initial scene was quite spine-chilling and that tone was kept all throughout the story. The easy writing and that creepy atmosphere had me turning pages quite fast! At first the story unfolded in a slow burning mode, but the combo of past and present lines helped me to not lose interest at any moment. Once the strange happenings began pace picked up a lot, leading to the unveiling of what happened in 1959.

I would have liked a bit more development in the 1959 time line and its characters. Most of what we learn from that time is through letters, but we don't get to witness first hand how and why the town's people behave like they did.

The present line was filled with a foreboding feeling that something bad was about to happen at any given time. All the characters were pretty flawed, but despite their faults I could not help to feel some sympathy for them, especially Alice.

Part of the ending was a complete surprise and it never crossed my mind, in part cause I'm not sure how truly believable was the villain's choice. I like when "supernatural" things have an earthly explanation, so that part of the resolution was satisfying enough.

Really entertaining mix of nordic noir and gothic horror. I will surely keep an eye out for the author's next book. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MURDER IN MANHATTAN

SYNOPSIS Glitzy parties, sightseeing at the Statue of Liberty and strolls through Central Park with Gladstone the bulldog… Lady Eleanor Swift is loving her first trip to the city that never sleeps, until she witnesses a murder! After crossing from England on the SS Celestiana, Lady Eleanor Swift sets up her home-away-from-home in a lavish apartment in New York City. She is soon the toast of the town, with no high-class soirée complete without her presence. Of course, she drags her butler Clifford and Gladstone the bulldog along to every party too. But when she witnesses the charming doorman of her building, Marty, knocked down and killed in a hit-and-run, she finds fashionable society suddenly closes rank. The only local detective interested in helping her find the culprit is street-smart beat cop, Officer Balowski. Resolved to get justice for Marty and his family, Eleanor searches Marty’s tiny apartment and is shocked to find five rolls of banknotes tucked under the floorboards. Money

HELLO, IT’S ME!

  I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to read... MY BRAND NEW BLOG! (Look at me plagiarazing   drawing inspiration from Adele for my very first entry).                                                               She approves! So, if you're here reading this...THANK YOU for tuning in! For those who don't know me my name is Javier and after more than a year writing reviews on sites as Goodreads and NetGalley I decided to create my own blog to share my love of books with the world. When I first started writing reviews I was not able to put two sentences together, but as I kept writing I realized I had lots to say about the books I read. Rest assured my reviews will always be honest (no problems here telling when I don't like something) and spoiler free (I hate spoilers!). My personal preferences are:    - Mystery/Suspense/Thriller (medical, legal, cozy... if there's a dead body, I'm in. Not for nothing I'm a medical examiner myself)    - Conte

LOVE IN LOCKDOWN

SYNOPSIS Do you believe in love before first sight? Lockdown is putting Sophia’s life on pause – just as she planned to put herself out there and meet someone. When the first clap for the keyworkers rings out around her courtyard, she’s moved to tears for all kinds of reasons. Jack is used to living life to the fullest. He’s going stir-crazy after just days isolating. Until the night he hears a woman crying from the balcony under his. He strikes up a conversation with the stranger and puts a smile on her face. Soon their balcony meetings are the highlight of Jack and Sophia’s days. But even as they grow closer together, they’re always kept apart. Can they fall in love during a lockdown? Title: Love in lockdown Author: Chloe James Publisher: Avon Books UK Publication date: November 23, 2020 REVIEW RATING:   ⭐⭐⭐⭐ When I first heard about this book I thought "Uh, uh, no way I'm reading this. Too soon. Who would want to read a book about the lockdown when the second one is waving