Skip to main content

AFTERSHOCK

 



SYNOPSIS


There’s a body crushed under a load of pipes on a San Francisco construction site, and medical examiner Dr. Jessie Teska is on call. So it’s her job to figure out who it is—and her headache when the autopsy reveals that the death is a homicide staged as an accident.

Jessie is hot on the murderer’s trail, then an earthquake sends her and her whole city reeling. When the dust clears, her case has fallen apart and an innocent man is being framed. Jessie knows she’s the only one who can prove it, and she races to piece together the truth—before it gets buried and brings her down in the rubble.


Title: Aftershock
Author: Judy Melinek & T.J. Mitchell
Series: Dr. Jessie Teska Mystery #2
Publisher: Hanover Square Press
Publication date: January 19, 2021


REVIEW

RATING: ⭐⭐⭐

I guess no one will be surprised when I say I love books with a medical examiner as the main character. In fact, the Scarpetta series and the Temperance Brennan series are in part to blame for me being a medical examiner myself. A couple of years back I read the author’s non-fiction book Working Stiff, about her work as a medical examiner and I absolutely loved it, so I was ecstatic when I found out she was gonna write a fiction series along her husband.

Aftershock is the second installment in the Dr. Jessie Teska series. Although a follow up it can be read as a stand alone as enough details about Jessie’s backstory are provided for you to easily catch up. The discovery of a body on a construction site marks the start of a story that, imo, suffered from trying to go in too many directions.

When soon afterwards there’s an earthquake I thought that it would play a more pivotal role in the main plot, but instead it felt like just an excuse to try and fit one specific clue of the investigation. Clue that I catch up on the moment it was first mentioned and could not understand how it took Jessie so long to realize.

Jessie is a headstrong and outspoken woman, she doesn’t suffer fools gladly, but sometimes she comes out as a bit brash, making it a bit hard to warm up to her. Also, she makes a really stupid decision that she later tries to justify (even through another character’s actions) and that is one of my pet peeves (no spoilers!).

My favorite parts were, of course, the morgue scenes. The murder mystery came to a not so shocking conclusion. The shocking bit was the social issue that was presented at the end and that I found absolutely abhorrent.

The personal life plot line was closed too quickly but I’m guessing we’ll see more of that in future installments.

Will I be back for book 3? Yes, cause even though this one didn’t grab me as much as I would have liked, both the series and Jessie herself have a lot of room to grow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MURDER IN MANHATTAN

SYNOPSIS Glitzy parties, sightseeing at the Statue of Liberty and strolls through Central Park with Gladstone the bulldog… Lady Eleanor Swift is loving her first trip to the city that never sleeps, until she witnesses a murder! After crossing from England on the SS Celestiana, Lady Eleanor Swift sets up her home-away-from-home in a lavish apartment in New York City. She is soon the toast of the town, with no high-class soirée complete without her presence. Of course, she drags her butler Clifford and Gladstone the bulldog along to every party too. But when she witnesses the charming doorman of her building, Marty, knocked down and killed in a hit-and-run, she finds fashionable society suddenly closes rank. The only local detective interested in helping her find the culprit is street-smart beat cop, Officer Balowski. Resolved to get justice for Marty and his family, Eleanor searches Marty’s tiny apartment and is shocked to find five rolls of banknotes tucked under the floorboards. Money

MURDER AT THE BEAUTY PAGEANT

SYNOPSIS Spring, 1935. Newlywed Kitty Underhay has been enlisted by her old nemesis Mrs Craven to help organise the Miss Dartmouth Jubilee pageant at the Dolphin Hotel. Being bossed around by her arch enemy is not quite what Kitty had in mind for the start of her married life, but she’s excited to launch the glamorous show. Sparkling smiles are quickly replaced by audible gasps however, when one of the girls goes missing during the interval… When pretty Peggy Blaine is discovered dead, Kitty can’t help but notice that none of the other contestants seem particularly shocked. Can jealousy over a sash and a diamante tiara be a motive for murder? But when she discovers the threatening notes the young women have received, Kitty enlists her husband Matt to figure out who’s scaring the competitors. However, before Matt can speak to them, another entrant turns up dead after an apparently accidental overdose. Taking part in a beauty pageant seems to have turned into a fatal occupation! The dari

HELLO, IT’S ME!

  I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to read... MY BRAND NEW BLOG! (Look at me plagiarazing   drawing inspiration from Adele for my very first entry).                                                               She approves! So, if you're here reading this...THANK YOU for tuning in! For those who don't know me my name is Javier and after more than a year writing reviews on sites as Goodreads and NetGalley I decided to create my own blog to share my love of books with the world. When I first started writing reviews I was not able to put two sentences together, but as I kept writing I realized I had lots to say about the books I read. Rest assured my reviews will always be honest (no problems here telling when I don't like something) and spoiler free (I hate spoilers!). My personal preferences are:    - Mystery/Suspense/Thriller (medical, legal, cozy... if there's a dead body, I'm in. Not for nothing I'm a medical examiner myself)    - Conte