Skip to main content

BLACKOUT

 



SYNOPSIS


On the shores of a tranquil fjord in Northern Iceland, a man is brutally beaten to death on a bright summer’s night. As the 24-hour light of the arctic summer is transformed into darkness by an ash cloud from a recent volcanic eruption, a young reporter leaves Reykajvik to investigate on her own, unaware that an innocent person’s life hangs in the balance.

Ari Thór Arason and his colleagues on the tiny police force in Siglufjörður struggle with an increasingly perplexing case, while their own serious personal problems push them to the limit. What secrets does the dead man harbour, and what is the young reporter hiding? As silent, unspoken horrors from the past threaten them all, and the darkness deepens, it’s a race against time to find the killer before someone else dies.


Title: Blackout
Author: Ragnar Jónasson
Series: Dark Iceland Series #3
Publisher: Orenda Books
Publication date: June 30, 2016


REVIEW


RATING: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

"Blackout" is book 2 in the Dark Iceland Series, but it was published in third place after "Nightblind", which is book 5 but was published second. Between books 1 and 5 there's a period of 5 years. When I started this series a couple of years back I thought that the publication order of the english translations was the correct one, so I read book 1, book 5 and now book 2, so when I first started "Blackout" I was a bit confused. Anyway, nonsensical publication strategies apart, "Blackout" is a very good addition to the series. In fact, the best one yet.

As usual, Mr. Jónasson paints a vivid portrait of a remote town and, thanks to a crisp prose and no overinflated descriptions, manages to create a suffocating atmosphere. He's one of the best at creating dark oppressive scenarios where the claustrophobia is at its peak when out in the open. I just wanna go so badly to Iceland based on his descriptions!

I found very interesting the contrast between the blackout in the south because of the volcano's ashes and the 24 hour light in the north, where the murder happens. I could almost feel myself breathing those ashes.

The mystery was very well done and I liked how everything tied up at the end. Ari Thór's character is showing some side of his personality that will make him much more interesting in the books to come.

This whole series has a golden age whodunit feel but with a modern twist, and any fan of Nordic noir crime should read them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MURDER IN MANHATTAN

SYNOPSIS Glitzy parties, sightseeing at the Statue of Liberty and strolls through Central Park with Gladstone the bulldog… Lady Eleanor Swift is loving her first trip to the city that never sleeps, until she witnesses a murder! After crossing from England on the SS Celestiana, Lady Eleanor Swift sets up her home-away-from-home in a lavish apartment in New York City. She is soon the toast of the town, with no high-class soirée complete without her presence. Of course, she drags her butler Clifford and Gladstone the bulldog along to every party too. But when she witnesses the charming doorman of her building, Marty, knocked down and killed in a hit-and-run, she finds fashionable society suddenly closes rank. The only local detective interested in helping her find the culprit is street-smart beat cop, Officer Balowski. Resolved to get justice for Marty and his family, Eleanor searches Marty’s tiny apartment and is shocked to find five rolls of banknotes tucked under the floorboards. Money

HELLO, IT’S ME!

  I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to read... MY BRAND NEW BLOG! (Look at me plagiarazing   drawing inspiration from Adele for my very first entry).                                                               She approves! So, if you're here reading this...THANK YOU for tuning in! For those who don't know me my name is Javier and after more than a year writing reviews on sites as Goodreads and NetGalley I decided to create my own blog to share my love of books with the world. When I first started writing reviews I was not able to put two sentences together, but as I kept writing I realized I had lots to say about the books I read. Rest assured my reviews will always be honest (no problems here telling when I don't like something) and spoiler free (I hate spoilers!). My personal preferences are:    - Mystery/Suspense/Thriller (medical, legal, cozy... if there's a dead body, I'm in. Not for nothing I'm a medical examiner myself)    - Conte

MURDER IN FLORENCE

  SYNOPSIS A glamourous film star…  Life as a private investigator in the suburbs of Florence isn’t always as glamourous as Dan Armstrong imagined it to be, until he is asked to investigate a recent spate of violent attacks on a Hollywood movie set in Florence. The star of the show, movie-star royalty Selena Gardner, fears her life is in imminent danger… Foul play on set… As Dan investigates, he discovers secrets and scandals are rife within the cast and crew. But with no actual murder, Dan believes these attacks could simply be warnings to someone…until the first body is found. A dangerous killer on the loose. Now Dan and his trusty sidekick Oscar are in a race against time to catch the murderer. But the more Dan uncovers, the more the killer strikes and Dan finds himself caught in the line of fire too! Is this one case Dan and Oscar will regret? Title: Murder in Florence Author: T.A. Williams Series: Armstrong and Oscar Cozy Mystery #3 Publisher: Boldwood Books Publication date: Apri