Skip to main content

MY LOVELY WIFE



SYNOPSIS


Our love story is simple. I met a gorgeous woman. We fell in love. We had kids. We moved to the suburbs. We told each other our biggest dreams, and our darkest secrets. And then we got bored.

We look like a normal couple. We are your neighbors, the parents of your kid's friend, the acquaintances you keep meaning to get dinner with.

We all have our secrets to keeping a marriage alive.

Ours just happens to be getting away with murder.


Title: My lovely wife
Author: Samantha Downing
Publisher: Berkley
Publication date: March 26, 2019


REVIEW


RATING: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
 

OMG! This was BLOODY BRILLIANT! I can’t believe I didn’t read this before. I feel like I’m late to the party but better late than never!

After reading both “My lovely wife” and “He started it”, I wonder what goes on in Ms. Downing’s head to create such disturbed, disturbing and, at the same time, likable characters.

It’s been a while since I read a debut novel so intricately plotted where everything worked as a perfectly oiled machine so kudos to the author.

What made this such a fantastic as well as terrifying read was the fact that the main characters could be your next door neighbors. Mum, Dad, two kids, the suburban life. She, a realtor. He, a tennis coach. And in their free time both of them share a little hobby: killing women.

The husband, whose name is never revealed, tells the story in the first person. Yes, he may have done some reprobable things (nobody’s perfect 😅), but as events unfolded you couldn’t help to empathize with him even though he’s a sicko!

For me, the truly terrifying character was Millicent. So cold and detached, unapologetic and shameless, she made a much scarier character than if she had been presented as a full-on psychopath.

If you’re a fan of psychological thrillers you can’t miss this one. It was original, well constructed and with a pair of lead characters so well developed you will root for them even when you know it’s wrong and you should feel outraged. Does it make me a bad person the fact I enjoyed this so much and rooted for a pair of killers? Maybe a little. 😂

The surprises kept coming till the last page. That last line was genius and creepy! Leave everything you’re doing and go read this cause it’s PURE ENTERTAINMENT! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MURDER IN MANHATTAN

SYNOPSIS Glitzy parties, sightseeing at the Statue of Liberty and strolls through Central Park with Gladstone the bulldog… Lady Eleanor Swift is loving her first trip to the city that never sleeps, until she witnesses a murder! After crossing from England on the SS Celestiana, Lady Eleanor Swift sets up her home-away-from-home in a lavish apartment in New York City. She is soon the toast of the town, with no high-class soirée complete without her presence. Of course, she drags her butler Clifford and Gladstone the bulldog along to every party too. But when she witnesses the charming doorman of her building, Marty, knocked down and killed in a hit-and-run, she finds fashionable society suddenly closes rank. The only local detective interested in helping her find the culprit is street-smart beat cop, Officer Balowski. Resolved to get justice for Marty and his family, Eleanor searches Marty’s tiny apartment and is shocked to find five rolls of banknotes tucked under the floorboards. Money

MURDER AT THE BEAUTY PAGEANT

SYNOPSIS Spring, 1935. Newlywed Kitty Underhay has been enlisted by her old nemesis Mrs Craven to help organise the Miss Dartmouth Jubilee pageant at the Dolphin Hotel. Being bossed around by her arch enemy is not quite what Kitty had in mind for the start of her married life, but she’s excited to launch the glamorous show. Sparkling smiles are quickly replaced by audible gasps however, when one of the girls goes missing during the interval… When pretty Peggy Blaine is discovered dead, Kitty can’t help but notice that none of the other contestants seem particularly shocked. Can jealousy over a sash and a diamante tiara be a motive for murder? But when she discovers the threatening notes the young women have received, Kitty enlists her husband Matt to figure out who’s scaring the competitors. However, before Matt can speak to them, another entrant turns up dead after an apparently accidental overdose. Taking part in a beauty pageant seems to have turned into a fatal occupation! The dari

HELLO, IT’S ME!

  I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to read... MY BRAND NEW BLOG! (Look at me plagiarazing   drawing inspiration from Adele for my very first entry).                                                               She approves! So, if you're here reading this...THANK YOU for tuning in! For those who don't know me my name is Javier and after more than a year writing reviews on sites as Goodreads and NetGalley I decided to create my own blog to share my love of books with the world. When I first started writing reviews I was not able to put two sentences together, but as I kept writing I realized I had lots to say about the books I read. Rest assured my reviews will always be honest (no problems here telling when I don't like something) and spoiler free (I hate spoilers!). My personal preferences are:    - Mystery/Suspense/Thriller (medical, legal, cozy... if there's a dead body, I'm in. Not for nothing I'm a medical examiner myself)    - Conte