Skip to main content

IN A DARK, DARK WOOD

 



SYNOPSIS

Nora hasn't seen Clare for ten years. Not since the day Nora walked out of her old life and never looked back. 

Until, out of the blue, an invitation to Clare’s hen party arrives. A weekend in a remote cottage - the perfect opportunity for Nora to reconnect with her best friend, to put the past behind her. 

But something goes wrong. 

Very wrong.

And as secrets and lies unravel, out in the dark, dark wood the past will finally catch up with Nora.


Title: In a dark, dark wood
Author: Ruth Ware
Publisher: Vintage
Publication date: December 31, 2015


REVIEW


RATING: ⭐⭐⭐💫 

"In the dark, dark wood there was a dark, dark house;
And in the dark, dark house there was a dark, dark room;
And in the dark, dark room there was a dark, dark cupboard;
And in the dark, dark cupboard there was...a skeleton."

I had read so many bad reviews about "In a dark, dark wood" that I was a bit afraid to read it, specially after not being very impressed with "The lying game" a few weeks ago, but, although it wasn't as good as some of Ruth Ware's latest books, I gotta say I quite enjoyed it.

In this, her debut novel, we can already glimpse how her writing and storytelling are clearly influenced by Agatha Christie herself. The slow build of suspense during the first half, a group of people stranded in a creepy atmospheric location (which she did superbly again in "One by one", imo) and the sense that something is very wrong while being unclear who's in danger or who's responsible for the uneasy feeling.

Ruth Ware is fantastic at creating creepy settings and in this case the glass house isolated in the woods gave me chills. That feeling of being in a showcase where anyone could look in while you could not look out or hide anywhere was so disturbing. Get some blinds, people!

Once the murder happened and things started to unravel I lost some interest as I don't think the secrets and motivations behind were that significant to lead to murder. Nora's secret was so frustrating! I can't actually believe any 26 yo would still be pining for her high school boyfriend and not be over their break up ten years before. That fact alone was creepier than the glass house! When all facts were revealed it was proved that it was all a case of lack of communication and that everything could have been avoided with a simple conversation. Hence, the climax itself was a bit disappointing.

It was also a bit frustrating to see how some characters that showed so much promise (I'm talking about Flo) almost disappeared in the second half, as I thought they would have played a bigger role in the story.

Despite this, the story was engrossing enough and the setting and characterization were pretty well done, making of "In a dark, dark wood" a pretty decent debut in the psychological suspense genre.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MURDER IN MANHATTAN

SYNOPSIS Glitzy parties, sightseeing at the Statue of Liberty and strolls through Central Park with Gladstone the bulldog… Lady Eleanor Swift is loving her first trip to the city that never sleeps, until she witnesses a murder! After crossing from England on the SS Celestiana, Lady Eleanor Swift sets up her home-away-from-home in a lavish apartment in New York City. She is soon the toast of the town, with no high-class soirée complete without her presence. Of course, she drags her butler Clifford and Gladstone the bulldog along to every party too. But when she witnesses the charming doorman of her building, Marty, knocked down and killed in a hit-and-run, she finds fashionable society suddenly closes rank. The only local detective interested in helping her find the culprit is street-smart beat cop, Officer Balowski. Resolved to get justice for Marty and his family, Eleanor searches Marty’s tiny apartment and is shocked to find five rolls of banknotes tucked under the floorboards. Money

MURDER AT THE BEAUTY PAGEANT

SYNOPSIS Spring, 1935. Newlywed Kitty Underhay has been enlisted by her old nemesis Mrs Craven to help organise the Miss Dartmouth Jubilee pageant at the Dolphin Hotel. Being bossed around by her arch enemy is not quite what Kitty had in mind for the start of her married life, but she’s excited to launch the glamorous show. Sparkling smiles are quickly replaced by audible gasps however, when one of the girls goes missing during the interval… When pretty Peggy Blaine is discovered dead, Kitty can’t help but notice that none of the other contestants seem particularly shocked. Can jealousy over a sash and a diamante tiara be a motive for murder? But when she discovers the threatening notes the young women have received, Kitty enlists her husband Matt to figure out who’s scaring the competitors. However, before Matt can speak to them, another entrant turns up dead after an apparently accidental overdose. Taking part in a beauty pageant seems to have turned into a fatal occupation! The dari

HELLO, IT’S ME!

  I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to read... MY BRAND NEW BLOG! (Look at me plagiarazing   drawing inspiration from Adele for my very first entry).                                                               She approves! So, if you're here reading this...THANK YOU for tuning in! For those who don't know me my name is Javier and after more than a year writing reviews on sites as Goodreads and NetGalley I decided to create my own blog to share my love of books with the world. When I first started writing reviews I was not able to put two sentences together, but as I kept writing I realized I had lots to say about the books I read. Rest assured my reviews will always be honest (no problems here telling when I don't like something) and spoiler free (I hate spoilers!). My personal preferences are:    - Mystery/Suspense/Thriller (medical, legal, cozy... if there's a dead body, I'm in. Not for nothing I'm a medical examiner myself)    - Conte