Skip to main content

THE WEEKEND ESCAPE



SYNOPSIS

It was meant to be a fun reunion, a chance for six friends to reconnect and relive the adventures that brought them together in the first place. But from the moment they arrive on their island home for the weekend, Lyndsey, Sonia, Bobbie, Amanda, Juliet, and Val realize that their paradise is filled with peril, and there are consequences when you try to outrun the ghosts of your past.

As everything starts to fall apart, and the friends begin to turn against one another, deep, dark secrets are revealed, and an unimaginable horror is unleashed. They came seeking adventure, but now they’ll be lucky to leave with their lives.


Title: The weekend escape
Author: Rakie Bennett
Publisher: One More Chapter
Publication date: October 8, 2021


REVIEW

RATING: ⭐⭐💫

A deserted island, a weekend getaway, a group of friends with a killer in their midst… With these ingredients The weekend escape had all the elements for it to be my favorite kind of read. Sadly, it wasn’t.

I know there’s an overload of locked room mysteries in isolated settings, but I usually enjoy them all. This one went awry almost from the get go.

Right from the start we’re presented all at once with 6 pretty similar main characters. This made trying to tell them apart quite hard. They didn’t have any distinguishing qualities and we were not given any of their backstories so I could not completely differentiate them until almost halfway through. They were also really unlikeable and, although I don’t usually have a problem with that but, if you’re unlikeable at least be interesting and these characters weren’t.

The mystery itself moved at such a slow pace. It felt like most of the time they were just bickering to each other (thank god they were supposed to be best friends!) and plotting ridiculous schemes that went nowhere. It was pretty clear from the start who was the villain (in my opinion, that first chapter gave it all away) and even though at first you don’t know the motives, as the story progresses you can basically work it all out. The last third picked up a little bit and turned the tension up a few notches but the actual ending was quite abrupt. 

On the good side the creepy atmosphere was really well done and you would not caught me dead in that island. 

Thanks to NetGalley and One More Chapter for providing an eARC in exchange for an honest review. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOVE IN LOCKDOWN

SYNOPSIS Do you believe in love before first sight? Lockdown is putting Sophia’s life on pause – just as she planned to put herself out there and meet someone. When the first clap for the keyworkers rings out around her courtyard, she’s moved to tears for all kinds of reasons. Jack is used to living life to the fullest. He’s going stir-crazy after just days isolating. Until the night he hears a woman crying from the balcony under his. He strikes up a conversation with the stranger and puts a smile on her face. Soon their balcony meetings are the highlight of Jack and Sophia’s days. But even as they grow closer together, they’re always kept apart. Can they fall in love during a lockdown? Title: Love in lockdown Author: Chloe James Publisher: Avon Books UK Publication date: November 23, 2020 REVIEW RATING:   ⭐⭐⭐⭐ When I first heard about this book I thought "Uh, uh, no way I'm reading this. Too soon. Who would want to read a book about the lockdown when the second one is waving ...

HELLO, IT’S ME!

  I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to read... MY BRAND NEW BLOG! (Look at me plagiarazing   drawing inspiration from Adele for my very first entry).                                                               She approves! So, if you're here reading this...THANK YOU for tuning in! For those who don't know me my name is Javier and after more than a year writing reviews on sites as Goodreads and NetGalley I decided to create my own blog to share my love of books with the world. When I first started writing reviews I was not able to put two sentences together, but as I kept writing I realized I had lots to say about the books I read. Rest assured my reviews will always be honest (no problems here telling when I don't like something) and spoiler free (I hate spoilers!). My personal preferences are:...

MY TOP TEN BOOKS OF 2020

  It's that wonderful time of the year when everyone does their lists of the best (insert here the kind of entertainment you want) of the year, and I couldn't be less.  This year I broke my own record with 250 books read (thanks, lockdown!) and there're still two and a half weeks left, so it was hard to pick just ten. I've had lots of amazing reads, and even though some of these didn't get 5 ⭐  from me, they still managed to surprise me, shock me or most important thing, entertain me. So, without farther ado, here are (in no particular order) my Top Ten books of 2020: 1. ONE BY ONE - Ruth Ware 2. GOODNIGHT BEAUTIFUL - Aimee Molloy 3. GIRL GONE MAD - Avery Bishop 4. THE NIGHT SWIM - Megan Goldin 5. EUDORA HONEYSETT IS QUITE WELL, THANK YOU - Annie Lyons 6. DEAR EMMIE BLUE - Lia Louis 7. PLAYING NICE - JP Delaney 8. THE LION'S DEN - Katherine St. John 9. THE LAST FLIGHT - Julie Clark 10. SHE HAS A BROKEN THING WHERE HER HEART SHOULD BE - J.D. Barker And although n...