Skip to main content

HOW LUCKY



SYNOPSIS

Daniel leads a rich life in the university town of Athens, Georgia.  He’s got a couple close friends, a steady paycheck working for a regional airline, and of course, for a few glorious days each Fall, college football tailgates. He considers himself to be a mostly lucky guy—despite the fact that he’s suffered from a debilitating disease since he was a small child, one that has left him unable to speak or to move without a wheelchair. 

Largely confined to his home, Daniel spends the hours he’s not online communicating with irate air travelers observing his neighborhood from his front porch. One young woman passes by so frequently that spotting her out the window has almost become part of his daily routine. Until the day he’s almost sure he sees her being kidnapped.


Title: How Lucky
Author: Will Leitch
Publisher: Harper
Publication date: May 11, 2021


REVIEW

RATING: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

I’ve got a confession to make. I decided to read (well, listen to) How Lucky based only on its length. That and its cute colorful cover. I know, those might not be the best to base my reading decisions on but this time I hit the jackpot. I had seen some reviews not paying really close attention to them, but now I gotta say that if they were good they were right. What a nice little gem of a book!


Daniel lives a nice life. He has some close friends, a steady job and loves college football season. He also suffers from Spinal Muscular Atrophy and is unable to speak or move without a wheelchair, and while this could mean he’s a gloomy and depressing character, nothing further from the truth. You will fall in love with him. He’s such an endearing and optimistic character. It was so refreshing learning his views on life and how he lived his day to day in such an uplifting way.


But you won’t only fall in love with Daniel. You will also love Travis and Marjani, his best friend and his carer. They way they took care and worried about Daniel made me teary some times.


While this could have been just a contemporary fiction story it added a layer of mystery and suspense with a Read Window-esque plot when Daniel witnesses what appears to be the kidnapping of a girl in his neighborhood.


The story was funny, heartwarming, suspenseful, touching, informative and most of all respectful in the way it presented a person with a disability, with said disability not being his only defining characteristic but just another part of him as a whole. I will for sure remember this for a long time. How lucky I’ve been to meet you, Daniel!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MURDER IN MANHATTAN

SYNOPSIS Glitzy parties, sightseeing at the Statue of Liberty and strolls through Central Park with Gladstone the bulldog… Lady Eleanor Swift is loving her first trip to the city that never sleeps, until she witnesses a murder! After crossing from England on the SS Celestiana, Lady Eleanor Swift sets up her home-away-from-home in a lavish apartment in New York City. She is soon the toast of the town, with no high-class soirée complete without her presence. Of course, she drags her butler Clifford and Gladstone the bulldog along to every party too. But when she witnesses the charming doorman of her building, Marty, knocked down and killed in a hit-and-run, she finds fashionable society suddenly closes rank. The only local detective interested in helping her find the culprit is street-smart beat cop, Officer Balowski. Resolved to get justice for Marty and his family, Eleanor searches Marty’s tiny apartment and is shocked to find five rolls of banknotes tucked under the floorboards. Money

HELLO, IT’S ME!

  I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to read... MY BRAND NEW BLOG! (Look at me plagiarazing   drawing inspiration from Adele for my very first entry).                                                               She approves! So, if you're here reading this...THANK YOU for tuning in! For those who don't know me my name is Javier and after more than a year writing reviews on sites as Goodreads and NetGalley I decided to create my own blog to share my love of books with the world. When I first started writing reviews I was not able to put two sentences together, but as I kept writing I realized I had lots to say about the books I read. Rest assured my reviews will always be honest (no problems here telling when I don't like something) and spoiler free (I hate spoilers!). My personal preferences are:    - Mystery/Suspense/Thriller (medical, legal, cozy... if there's a dead body, I'm in. Not for nothing I'm a medical examiner myself)    - Conte

LOVE IN LOCKDOWN

SYNOPSIS Do you believe in love before first sight? Lockdown is putting Sophia’s life on pause – just as she planned to put herself out there and meet someone. When the first clap for the keyworkers rings out around her courtyard, she’s moved to tears for all kinds of reasons. Jack is used to living life to the fullest. He’s going stir-crazy after just days isolating. Until the night he hears a woman crying from the balcony under his. He strikes up a conversation with the stranger and puts a smile on her face. Soon their balcony meetings are the highlight of Jack and Sophia’s days. But even as they grow closer together, they’re always kept apart. Can they fall in love during a lockdown? Title: Love in lockdown Author: Chloe James Publisher: Avon Books UK Publication date: November 23, 2020 REVIEW RATING:   ⭐⭐⭐⭐ When I first heard about this book I thought "Uh, uh, no way I'm reading this. Too soon. Who would want to read a book about the lockdown when the second one is waving