Skip to main content

THE GUILT TRIP



SYNOPSIS

They went away as friends
They came back as suspects . . .

Jack and Rachel. Noah and Paige. Will and Ali. Five friends who’ve known each other for years. And Ali, Will’s new fiancée.

To celebrate the forthcoming wedding, all three couples are having a weekend get-away together in Portugal.

It’s a chance to relax and get to know Ali a little better perhaps. A newcomer to their group, she seems perfectly nice and Will seems happy after years of bad choices. But Ali is hiding more than one secret . . .

By the end of the weekend there’ll be one dead body and five people with guilty consciences wondering if they really know each other so well after all. Because one of them has to be the killer.

Title: The Guilt Trip
Author: Sandie Jones
Publisher: Pan
Publication date: August 19, 2021


REVIEW

RATING: ⭐⭐⭐

If there’s one thing literature has taught me is that destination weddings are never a good idea, unless you want to become a widow quickly, so you know, if you’re thinking of getting married you better elope!

Rachel is married to Jack and best friends with Noah, who’s married to Paige. They’re all traveling to Portugal for Jack’s brother Will wedding with Ali, who isn’t anyone’s favorite person (except Will’s, after all he’s marrying her!). Tensions start right at the airport and keep escalating during the weekend until the happily ever after gets threatened.

I had only read one book by Sandie Jones prior to this one and I was not that impressed. While this one was an improvement it still left me wanting a bit more. For starters, it is not a thriller cause there’re no thrills (at least for the first two thirds). It is more of a domestic drama/soap opera with lots of gossip and women talking shit about other woman based on what they heard or were told about her. Rachel and Paige behaved sometimes as a pair of (hypocrites) mean girls, as if they were above good and evil, when it was later proved that they had more than one skeleton in their closets.

There was also lots of misunderstandings based on characters assuming things and not letting other characters talk, and I found that pretty annoying.

Although nothing much happened for the first half, the audiobook still managed to keep me hooked (good choice going with the audiobook). Once the secrets started being revealed the pace picked up leading to an ending that still surprised me somehow.

The Guilt Trip doesn’t bring anything new to the domestic suspense genre but still was an entertaining read.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOVE IN LOCKDOWN

SYNOPSIS Do you believe in love before first sight? Lockdown is putting Sophia’s life on pause – just as she planned to put herself out there and meet someone. When the first clap for the keyworkers rings out around her courtyard, she’s moved to tears for all kinds of reasons. Jack is used to living life to the fullest. He’s going stir-crazy after just days isolating. Until the night he hears a woman crying from the balcony under his. He strikes up a conversation with the stranger and puts a smile on her face. Soon their balcony meetings are the highlight of Jack and Sophia’s days. But even as they grow closer together, they’re always kept apart. Can they fall in love during a lockdown? Title: Love in lockdown Author: Chloe James Publisher: Avon Books UK Publication date: November 23, 2020 REVIEW RATING:   ⭐⭐⭐⭐ When I first heard about this book I thought "Uh, uh, no way I'm reading this. Too soon. Who would want to read a book about the lockdown when the second one is waving ...

HELLO, IT’S ME!

  I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to read... MY BRAND NEW BLOG! (Look at me plagiarazing   drawing inspiration from Adele for my very first entry).                                                               She approves! So, if you're here reading this...THANK YOU for tuning in! For those who don't know me my name is Javier and after more than a year writing reviews on sites as Goodreads and NetGalley I decided to create my own blog to share my love of books with the world. When I first started writing reviews I was not able to put two sentences together, but as I kept writing I realized I had lots to say about the books I read. Rest assured my reviews will always be honest (no problems here telling when I don't like something) and spoiler free (I hate spoilers!). My personal preferences are:...

MY TOP TEN BOOKS OF 2020

  It's that wonderful time of the year when everyone does their lists of the best (insert here the kind of entertainment you want) of the year, and I couldn't be less.  This year I broke my own record with 250 books read (thanks, lockdown!) and there're still two and a half weeks left, so it was hard to pick just ten. I've had lots of amazing reads, and even though some of these didn't get 5 ⭐  from me, they still managed to surprise me, shock me or most important thing, entertain me. So, without farther ado, here are (in no particular order) my Top Ten books of 2020: 1. ONE BY ONE - Ruth Ware 2. GOODNIGHT BEAUTIFUL - Aimee Molloy 3. GIRL GONE MAD - Avery Bishop 4. THE NIGHT SWIM - Megan Goldin 5. EUDORA HONEYSETT IS QUITE WELL, THANK YOU - Annie Lyons 6. DEAR EMMIE BLUE - Lia Louis 7. PLAYING NICE - JP Delaney 8. THE LION'S DEN - Katherine St. John 9. THE LAST FLIGHT - Julie Clark 10. SHE HAS A BROKEN THING WHERE HER HEART SHOULD BE - J.D. Barker And although n...