Skip to main content

THE UNHEARD

 



SYNOPSIS

‘He did kill. Kill and kill and kill.’
 
Tess’s number one priority has always been her three-year-old daughter Poppy. But splitting up with Poppy’s father Jason means that she cannot always be there to keep her daughter safe.
 
When she finds a disturbing drawing, dark and menacing, among her daughter’s brightly coloured paintings, Tess is convinced that Poppy has witnessed something terrible. Something that her young mind is struggling to put into words.
 
But no one will listen. It’s only a child’s drawing, isn’t it?
 
Tess will protect Poppy, whatever the price. But when she doesn’t know what, or who, she is protecting her from, how can she possibly know who to trust?  


Title: The Unheard
Author: Nicci French
Publisher: Simon & Schuster UK
Publication date: September 16, 2021


REVIEW

RATING: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

When Tess’ daughter Poppy starts acting out after a weekend with her dad, Tess suspects she may have witnessed some kind of crime. The disturbing drawing Poppy did seems to imply that but, can she trust the “words” of a 3 yo? Everyone else in her life thinks it is all in her head but she knows her daughter and is convinced something’s wrong with her, so she decides to investigate herself what Poppy could have seen.

The Unheard was a really engaging read. I found the premise super interesting. How reliable can a little kid be when she doesn’t even know how to express what’s wrong? Tess’ love for her daughter was palpable and it was clear she would do anything for her, but in her attempt to prove her daughter was right we start doubting her. Is Tess right in suspecting every man around her or is she an unreliable narrator? She is sure a crime was committed but, how could Poppy know about it even before said crime happened?

I really racked my brains trying to guess how Tess’ predicament could be explained but I could not think of a single plausible theory. There were quite the number of suspects and each and every one of them gave away “villain vibes” some time, so well done with the misdirection!

The ending left me with some unanswered questions but overall it was satisfying (although I would have liked for a different villain just because I could not stand them!).

Another great story by this husband/wife writing duo. If you’re not familiar with their work I recommend reading also House of Correction, a fantastic and super original prison/courtroom story.

Thanks to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster UK for providing an eARC in exchange for an honest review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOVE IN LOCKDOWN

SYNOPSIS Do you believe in love before first sight? Lockdown is putting Sophia’s life on pause – just as she planned to put herself out there and meet someone. When the first clap for the keyworkers rings out around her courtyard, she’s moved to tears for all kinds of reasons. Jack is used to living life to the fullest. He’s going stir-crazy after just days isolating. Until the night he hears a woman crying from the balcony under his. He strikes up a conversation with the stranger and puts a smile on her face. Soon their balcony meetings are the highlight of Jack and Sophia’s days. But even as they grow closer together, they’re always kept apart. Can they fall in love during a lockdown? Title: Love in lockdown Author: Chloe James Publisher: Avon Books UK Publication date: November 23, 2020 REVIEW RATING:   ⭐⭐⭐⭐ When I first heard about this book I thought "Uh, uh, no way I'm reading this. Too soon. Who would want to read a book about the lockdown when the second one is waving ...

HELLO, IT’S ME!

  I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to read... MY BRAND NEW BLOG! (Look at me plagiarazing   drawing inspiration from Adele for my very first entry).                                                               She approves! So, if you're here reading this...THANK YOU for tuning in! For those who don't know me my name is Javier and after more than a year writing reviews on sites as Goodreads and NetGalley I decided to create my own blog to share my love of books with the world. When I first started writing reviews I was not able to put two sentences together, but as I kept writing I realized I had lots to say about the books I read. Rest assured my reviews will always be honest (no problems here telling when I don't like something) and spoiler free (I hate spoilers!). My personal preferences are:...

MY TOP TEN BOOKS OF 2020

  It's that wonderful time of the year when everyone does their lists of the best (insert here the kind of entertainment you want) of the year, and I couldn't be less.  This year I broke my own record with 250 books read (thanks, lockdown!) and there're still two and a half weeks left, so it was hard to pick just ten. I've had lots of amazing reads, and even though some of these didn't get 5 ⭐  from me, they still managed to surprise me, shock me or most important thing, entertain me. So, without farther ado, here are (in no particular order) my Top Ten books of 2020: 1. ONE BY ONE - Ruth Ware 2. GOODNIGHT BEAUTIFUL - Aimee Molloy 3. GIRL GONE MAD - Avery Bishop 4. THE NIGHT SWIM - Megan Goldin 5. EUDORA HONEYSETT IS QUITE WELL, THANK YOU - Annie Lyons 6. DEAR EMMIE BLUE - Lia Louis 7. PLAYING NICE - JP Delaney 8. THE LION'S DEN - Katherine St. John 9. THE LAST FLIGHT - Julie Clark 10. SHE HAS A BROKEN THING WHERE HER HEART SHOULD BE - J.D. Barker And although n...