Skip to main content

HER PRETTY FACE



SYNOPSIS


Frances Metcalfe is struggling to stay afloat.

A stay-at-home mom whose troubled son is her full-time job, she thought that the day he got accepted into the elite Forrester Academy would be the day she started living her life. Overweight, insecure, and lonely, she is desperate to fit into Forrester’s world. But after a disturbing incident at the school leads the other children and their families to ostracize the Metcalfes, she feels more alone than ever before.

Until she meets Kate Randolph.

Kate is everything Frances is not: beautiful, wealthy, powerful, and confident. And for some reason, she’s not interested in being friends with any of the other Forrester moms—only Frances. As the two bond over their disdain of the Forrester snobs and the fierce love they have for their sons, a startling secret threatens to tear them apart.

Because one of these women is not who she seems. Her real name is Amber Kunik. And she’s a murderer.


Title: Her pretty face
Author: Robyn Harding
Publisher: Gallery/Scout Press
Publication date: July 10, 2018


REVIEW

RATING: ⭐⭐⭐💫

Having read and loved Robyn Harding’s latest books, The Swap and The Perfect Family, I knew I had to go through her backlist as soon as possible, and Her Pretty Face was my first stop. Once again I got so engrossed in the story that I listened to it in a couple of afternoons. The author really has a knack for making the stories flow, making it hard for the reader to stop reading (even when you have more pressing matters to attend to!).

Frances doesn’t fit with the moms of the elite Forrester Academy her son attends until she meets Kate, a beautiful, confident and wealthy mom that shows an interest in her. Both of them will bond until a secret one of them is hiding threatens to break their friendship.

And what a secret it was! One of them is a murderer (not a spoiler, it’s right there on the synopsis), so I guess that could be quite the deal breaker. I hadn’t read the synopsis first so it was a surprise for me.

With three POVs, Frances, Daisy (Kate’s daughter) and a young boy from a past timeline, it kept me guessing what kind of secrets these suburban mums could be hiding.

As details from the past started being revealed I found the story more disturbing, as a new face about one of the main characters was unveiled and it was quite dark.

While I liked it, I think it lacked some stronger mystery element or big reveal at the end, although I still was surprised when the identity of one of the characters was revealed. I found really interesting the way the murderer reacted when her past was made public and think it was a good representation of how a true sociopath would react (despicable and unsettling as it was).

The audiobook was really well narrated and all three narrators really captured the essence of the characters.

A well-written and pretty good domestic suspense that will make you second guess yourself. Now, onto my next Robyn Harding!




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MURDER IN MANHATTAN

SYNOPSIS Glitzy parties, sightseeing at the Statue of Liberty and strolls through Central Park with Gladstone the bulldog… Lady Eleanor Swift is loving her first trip to the city that never sleeps, until she witnesses a murder! After crossing from England on the SS Celestiana, Lady Eleanor Swift sets up her home-away-from-home in a lavish apartment in New York City. She is soon the toast of the town, with no high-class soirée complete without her presence. Of course, she drags her butler Clifford and Gladstone the bulldog along to every party too. But when she witnesses the charming doorman of her building, Marty, knocked down and killed in a hit-and-run, she finds fashionable society suddenly closes rank. The only local detective interested in helping her find the culprit is street-smart beat cop, Officer Balowski. Resolved to get justice for Marty and his family, Eleanor searches Marty’s tiny apartment and is shocked to find five rolls of banknotes tucked under the floorboards. Money

HELLO, IT’S ME!

  I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to read... MY BRAND NEW BLOG! (Look at me plagiarazing   drawing inspiration from Adele for my very first entry).                                                               She approves! So, if you're here reading this...THANK YOU for tuning in! For those who don't know me my name is Javier and after more than a year writing reviews on sites as Goodreads and NetGalley I decided to create my own blog to share my love of books with the world. When I first started writing reviews I was not able to put two sentences together, but as I kept writing I realized I had lots to say about the books I read. Rest assured my reviews will always be honest (no problems here telling when I don't like something) and spoiler free (I hate spoilers!). My personal preferences are:    - Mystery/Suspense/Thriller (medical, legal, cozy... if there's a dead body, I'm in. Not for nothing I'm a medical examiner myself)    - Conte

LOVE IN LOCKDOWN

SYNOPSIS Do you believe in love before first sight? Lockdown is putting Sophia’s life on pause – just as she planned to put herself out there and meet someone. When the first clap for the keyworkers rings out around her courtyard, she’s moved to tears for all kinds of reasons. Jack is used to living life to the fullest. He’s going stir-crazy after just days isolating. Until the night he hears a woman crying from the balcony under his. He strikes up a conversation with the stranger and puts a smile on her face. Soon their balcony meetings are the highlight of Jack and Sophia’s days. But even as they grow closer together, they’re always kept apart. Can they fall in love during a lockdown? Title: Love in lockdown Author: Chloe James Publisher: Avon Books UK Publication date: November 23, 2020 REVIEW RATING:   ⭐⭐⭐⭐ When I first heard about this book I thought "Uh, uh, no way I'm reading this. Too soon. Who would want to read a book about the lockdown when the second one is waving