Skip to main content

THE DISAPPEARING ACT

 



SYNOPSIS


A woman has gone missing
But did she ever really exist?
 
Mia Eliot has travelled from London to LA for pilot season. This is her big chance to make it as an actor in Hollywood, and she is ready to do whatever it takes. At an audition she meets Emily, and what starts as a simple favour takes a dark turn when Emily goes missing and Mia is the last person to see her.
 
Then a woman turns up, claiming to be Emily, but she is nothing like Mia remembers. Why would someone pretend to be Emily? Starting to question her own sanity, she goes on a desperate and dangerous search for answers, knowing something is very, very wrong.
 
In an industry where everything is about creating illusions, how do you know what is real? And how much would you risk to find out?


Title: The disappearing act
Author: Catherine Steadman
Publisher: Simon & Schuster UK
Publication date: June 24, 2021


REVIEW

RATING: ⭐⭐⭐⭐💫

I’m a sucker for stories set in Hollywood with the movies and acting world as a backdrop, so The Disappearing Act was the perfect read for me. I think the premise was pretty intriguing and could not put it down until the end.

Mia is a British actress that goes to LA to do some auditions in search of her big chance. After Emily, a fellow actor, asks her for a favor in one of her auditions, she goes missing and Mia can’t let it go (she should learn from Elsa from Frozen 😅). Whe a few days later a woman turns up claiming to be Emily, Mia just knows that although they look alike she’s not the woman she previously met so things take a sinister turn pretty quickly.

Yes, Mia was a bit naive sometimes and she didn’t always take the best decisions, but I felt so much sympathy for her and just wanted for things to go her way. 

It is pretty clear that the author is also an actress, as everything related to the movie industry sounded completely believable. It was evident she knew first hand what she was writing about.

Although the story is not action packed and has more of a slow pace, I was so curious about what direction it was gonna take I listened to half of the audiobook in one sitting. I’m always a bit reluctant to listen audiobooks narrated by the author…unless the author is an actress herself! It was fantastic (I guess no one better to know how her characters talk). After finishing it I immediately went to look for more books narrated by Catherine Steadman (it’s a shame I already read her two previous books!).

The resolution ended up being much more twisted than I imagined and I loved it. The only criticism I have is that was drawn out a little bit after everything was revealed (although I loved those glimpses into Mia’s future).

Having read all 3 Ms. Steadman’s novels, I can say The Disappearing Act was definitely my favorite and I just can’t wait to read what she comes out with next. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOVE IN LOCKDOWN

SYNOPSIS Do you believe in love before first sight? Lockdown is putting Sophia’s life on pause – just as she planned to put herself out there and meet someone. When the first clap for the keyworkers rings out around her courtyard, she’s moved to tears for all kinds of reasons. Jack is used to living life to the fullest. He’s going stir-crazy after just days isolating. Until the night he hears a woman crying from the balcony under his. He strikes up a conversation with the stranger and puts a smile on her face. Soon their balcony meetings are the highlight of Jack and Sophia’s days. But even as they grow closer together, they’re always kept apart. Can they fall in love during a lockdown? Title: Love in lockdown Author: Chloe James Publisher: Avon Books UK Publication date: November 23, 2020 REVIEW RATING:   ⭐⭐⭐⭐ When I first heard about this book I thought "Uh, uh, no way I'm reading this. Too soon. Who would want to read a book about the lockdown when the second one is waving ...

HELLO, IT’S ME!

  I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to read... MY BRAND NEW BLOG! (Look at me plagiarazing   drawing inspiration from Adele for my very first entry).                                                               She approves! So, if you're here reading this...THANK YOU for tuning in! For those who don't know me my name is Javier and after more than a year writing reviews on sites as Goodreads and NetGalley I decided to create my own blog to share my love of books with the world. When I first started writing reviews I was not able to put two sentences together, but as I kept writing I realized I had lots to say about the books I read. Rest assured my reviews will always be honest (no problems here telling when I don't like something) and spoiler free (I hate spoilers!). My personal preferences are:...

MY TOP TEN BOOKS OF 2020

  It's that wonderful time of the year when everyone does their lists of the best (insert here the kind of entertainment you want) of the year, and I couldn't be less.  This year I broke my own record with 250 books read (thanks, lockdown!) and there're still two and a half weeks left, so it was hard to pick just ten. I've had lots of amazing reads, and even though some of these didn't get 5 ⭐  from me, they still managed to surprise me, shock me or most important thing, entertain me. So, without farther ado, here are (in no particular order) my Top Ten books of 2020: 1. ONE BY ONE - Ruth Ware 2. GOODNIGHT BEAUTIFUL - Aimee Molloy 3. GIRL GONE MAD - Avery Bishop 4. THE NIGHT SWIM - Megan Goldin 5. EUDORA HONEYSETT IS QUITE WELL, THANK YOU - Annie Lyons 6. DEAR EMMIE BLUE - Lia Louis 7. PLAYING NICE - JP Delaney 8. THE LION'S DEN - Katherine St. John 9. THE LAST FLIGHT - Julie Clark 10. SHE HAS A BROKEN THING WHERE HER HEART SHOULD BE - J.D. Barker And although n...