Skip to main content

AMERICAN GIRL



SYNOPSIS

Charlie Hudson, an autistic 17-year-old, is determined to leave Sawyer, PA, as soon as she graduates high school - in the meantime, she works as many hours as she can at a sandwich shop called The Triple S to save money for college. But when shop owner Clay Cooper - a man who is both respected and feared by many in this economically depressed community - is found dead, each member of his staff becomes a suspect in the perplexing case. Charlie must work to protect herself and her friends and uncover the danger that may still be at large in their tightknit community.


Title: American Girl
Author: Wendy Walker
Publication date: December 16, 2021



REVIEW

RATING: ⭐⭐⭐💫

Charlie, an autistic 17 yo, just wants to leave Sawyer. She works at a sandwich shop to save money for college. When her boss is found dead, Charlie and her co-workers all become suspects, so she starts investigating to uncover the killer while protecting her friends.
 
The thing that appealed to me the most about American Girl was the fact I thought it would be a full cast of narrators (I haven’t listened to many of those), but instead it was a main narrator (Charlie), and then some chapters with dramatized scenes with different actors, sound effects, etc. Those were cool and I would have liked more of them as they really managed to draw me into the story.
 
I appreciate how Charlie’s character was not neurotypical, but I’m not sure how believable she was at times. Suspension of disbelief was required more than once. There were several red flags that made me wonder how did she not realize sooner that some things happening to her were pretty convenient and not exactly normal.
 
After a strong start I soon became a bit disinterested in the mystery itself. For the most part it was more about Charlie’s ramblings and not so much about the investigation. Also, the mystery focused a lot in a line of investigation that then didn’t have much impact in the final resolution and made me wonder why so much time was dedicated to that when it was not as interesting.
 
Although it was an interesting listening experience, the story itself fell a bit flat for me and my interest was only really piqued out in the last third.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MURDER IN MANHATTAN

SYNOPSIS Glitzy parties, sightseeing at the Statue of Liberty and strolls through Central Park with Gladstone the bulldog… Lady Eleanor Swift is loving her first trip to the city that never sleeps, until she witnesses a murder! After crossing from England on the SS Celestiana, Lady Eleanor Swift sets up her home-away-from-home in a lavish apartment in New York City. She is soon the toast of the town, with no high-class soirée complete without her presence. Of course, she drags her butler Clifford and Gladstone the bulldog along to every party too. But when she witnesses the charming doorman of her building, Marty, knocked down and killed in a hit-and-run, she finds fashionable society suddenly closes rank. The only local detective interested in helping her find the culprit is street-smart beat cop, Officer Balowski. Resolved to get justice for Marty and his family, Eleanor searches Marty’s tiny apartment and is shocked to find five rolls of banknotes tucked under the floorboards. Money

HELLO, IT’S ME!

  I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to read... MY BRAND NEW BLOG! (Look at me plagiarazing   drawing inspiration from Adele for my very first entry).                                                               She approves! So, if you're here reading this...THANK YOU for tuning in! For those who don't know me my name is Javier and after more than a year writing reviews on sites as Goodreads and NetGalley I decided to create my own blog to share my love of books with the world. When I first started writing reviews I was not able to put two sentences together, but as I kept writing I realized I had lots to say about the books I read. Rest assured my reviews will always be honest (no problems here telling when I don't like something) and spoiler free (I hate spoilers!). My personal preferences are:    - Mystery/Suspense/Thriller (medical, legal, cozy... if there's a dead body, I'm in. Not for nothing I'm a medical examiner myself)    - Conte

LOVE IN LOCKDOWN

SYNOPSIS Do you believe in love before first sight? Lockdown is putting Sophia’s life on pause – just as she planned to put herself out there and meet someone. When the first clap for the keyworkers rings out around her courtyard, she’s moved to tears for all kinds of reasons. Jack is used to living life to the fullest. He’s going stir-crazy after just days isolating. Until the night he hears a woman crying from the balcony under his. He strikes up a conversation with the stranger and puts a smile on her face. Soon their balcony meetings are the highlight of Jack and Sophia’s days. But even as they grow closer together, they’re always kept apart. Can they fall in love during a lockdown? Title: Love in lockdown Author: Chloe James Publisher: Avon Books UK Publication date: November 23, 2020 REVIEW RATING:   ⭐⭐⭐⭐ When I first heard about this book I thought "Uh, uh, no way I'm reading this. Too soon. Who would want to read a book about the lockdown when the second one is waving