Skip to main content

THE REPLACEMENT WIFE



SYNOPSIS

Elisa Wright is a mom and wife, living a nice, quiet life in a nice, quiet town. She’s also convinced her brother-in-law is a murderer. Josh has one dead wife and one missing fiancée, and though he grieved for them he starts dating someone new. Elisa fears for that woman’s safety, and she desperately wants to know what happened to her friend, Josh’s missing fiancée.

Searching for clues means investigating her own family. And she doesn’t like what she finds. A laptop filled with incriminating information. Other women.

But when Elisa becomes friends with Josh’s new girlfriend and starts to question things she thinks are true, Elisa wonders if the memories of a horrible incident a year ago have finally pushed her over the edge and Josh is really innocent. With so much at stake, Elisa fights off panic attacks and a strange illness. Is it a breakdown or something more? The race is on to get to the truth before another disappearance because there’s a killer in the family…or is there?



Title: The replacement wife
Author: Darby Kane
Publisher: William Morrow
Publication date: December 28, 2021



REVIEW

RATING: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Last year I loved Pretty Little Wife so I had high expectations for The Replacement Wife. Prior to listening to it I had read some mixed reviews about it so my excitement got a bit deflated but once I’ve finished it I must confess that I thoroughly enjoyed it!
 
Elisa is convinced  her brother-in-law is a murderer. One dead wife and one missing fiancée are reason enough for Elisa to suspect he’s involved somehow. As police is not doing much about it, Elisa decides to search for clues herself that prove her suspicions but soon she’ll begin questioning her own sanity after memories of a traumatic incidente a year before start resurfacing.
 
Although it has one of my most disliked tropes in the psychological suspense genre (gaslighting), I found myself completely engaged in the story right from the beginning. So much that I listened to half of it in one sitting. There were many twists and turns that managed to maintain a great pace throughout the whole story, not being a single boring moment.
 
I sympathized with Elisa’s plight and hated to see how her husband always put his brother first (I hate it when the husband is always so dismissive of the wife’s suspicions) and how they used her past trauma to try to weaken her mental state, but after she uncovered something I could not understand why Elisa kept behaving in the same way she had been doing, giving more reasons to her detractors to keep messing with her. I think she could have been a bit smarter then.
 
The resolution was the weakest part, in my opinion. Although we get answers to most of the questions, I didn’t buy the villain’s motivations at all and some aspects of it could have been a bit tighter.
 
Entertaining, quick and engaging read that I would definitely recommend. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MURDER IN MANHATTAN

SYNOPSIS Glitzy parties, sightseeing at the Statue of Liberty and strolls through Central Park with Gladstone the bulldog… Lady Eleanor Swift is loving her first trip to the city that never sleeps, until she witnesses a murder! After crossing from England on the SS Celestiana, Lady Eleanor Swift sets up her home-away-from-home in a lavish apartment in New York City. She is soon the toast of the town, with no high-class soirée complete without her presence. Of course, she drags her butler Clifford and Gladstone the bulldog along to every party too. But when she witnesses the charming doorman of her building, Marty, knocked down and killed in a hit-and-run, she finds fashionable society suddenly closes rank. The only local detective interested in helping her find the culprit is street-smart beat cop, Officer Balowski. Resolved to get justice for Marty and his family, Eleanor searches Marty’s tiny apartment and is shocked to find five rolls of banknotes tucked under the floorboards. Money

HELLO, IT’S ME!

  I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to read... MY BRAND NEW BLOG! (Look at me plagiarazing   drawing inspiration from Adele for my very first entry).                                                               She approves! So, if you're here reading this...THANK YOU for tuning in! For those who don't know me my name is Javier and after more than a year writing reviews on sites as Goodreads and NetGalley I decided to create my own blog to share my love of books with the world. When I first started writing reviews I was not able to put two sentences together, but as I kept writing I realized I had lots to say about the books I read. Rest assured my reviews will always be honest (no problems here telling when I don't like something) and spoiler free (I hate spoilers!). My personal preferences are:    - Mystery/Suspense/Thriller (medical, legal, cozy... if there's a dead body, I'm in. Not for nothing I'm a medical examiner myself)    - Conte

LOVE IN LOCKDOWN

SYNOPSIS Do you believe in love before first sight? Lockdown is putting Sophia’s life on pause – just as she planned to put herself out there and meet someone. When the first clap for the keyworkers rings out around her courtyard, she’s moved to tears for all kinds of reasons. Jack is used to living life to the fullest. He’s going stir-crazy after just days isolating. Until the night he hears a woman crying from the balcony under his. He strikes up a conversation with the stranger and puts a smile on her face. Soon their balcony meetings are the highlight of Jack and Sophia’s days. But even as they grow closer together, they’re always kept apart. Can they fall in love during a lockdown? Title: Love in lockdown Author: Chloe James Publisher: Avon Books UK Publication date: November 23, 2020 REVIEW RATING:   ⭐⭐⭐⭐ When I first heard about this book I thought "Uh, uh, no way I'm reading this. Too soon. Who would want to read a book about the lockdown when the second one is waving